LL-L 'Phonology' 2006.07.09 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jul 9 18:11:11 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 09 July 2006 * Volume 04

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L 'Phonology' 2006.07.08 (01) [D/E]

Hi Paul

I don't know about British English, but the uvular R seems to be the
common pronunciation in Krio, the Creole English of Freetown, Sierra Leone.
Which I find quite surprising, since Krio is spoken by Africans and there
is no influence from French, German here, nor from West African languages
because they lack uvular R.

Groetz
Ingmar

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'History' 2006.07.08 (06) [D/E]

Further to the ulvular /r/ question, I recall that it occurs in Cape Afrikaans,
at least in some areas.  I was told that it was due to French influence, though I
don't know if that's true.  All the Afrikaans I was exposed to was Transvaal and
Vrystaat, with a verrry strongly trilled /r/.

Paul Finlow-Bates