LL-L 'History' 2006.07.10 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 10 16:59:27 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 10 July 2006 * Volume 02

From: 'Global Moose Translations' <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L 'History' 2006.07.09 (03) [E]

Paul:
>Not forgetting Alfred, the only English king to get the tag - though the
earliest
>use is several centuries after his death. Of course, all most people know
is
>that he burnt some cakes.....

Never heard of him. Was he a lousy cook, then?

Ron:
>By the way, North Germans and Eastern Netherlanders (who are largely
descendant
>of Saxons) have been routinely taught about Charlemagne's greatness in
school.
>At least in my school there was not explicit mention of his treatment of
Saxons
>and Slavs.

In France, every child knows that Charlemagne is the bloke who "invented
school", and hates his guts accordingly. There are even songs about him:
"Sacré, sacré Charlemagne", "Marie, Pierre et Charlemagne", and others.

Thomas et. al.:
As to the body count discussion: who cares how many were killed exactly and
by whom, as long as these things are still going on? There are very few, if
any, nations in history not guilty of ethnic cleansing at some point in
history, often on a very large scale. Only, even today, some ethnicities
seem to be more "equal" than others, to quote Orwell. There is a great and
continued global outrage about the Holocaust, as well there should be, but
what about the eradication of Native Americans, what about slavery and all
the butchering in African colonies? I don't believe it is just because that
happened less recently that the outrage is not quite the same. I believe it
is because of the mental image of these people as "savages", and therefore
at least somewhat inferior to our European/Western culture.

It must be part of human nature to regard others, even large groups of
people, as "inferior" to some degree, depending on gender, social status,
wealth, looks, health, intelligence, religion, heritage, language, and so
forth. Also, there is an ingrained fear of anything that feels "strange" and
different. What I find much harder to understand is that people can be so
brainwashed that they will suddenly turn against their own friends and
neighbours with whom they have peacefully coexisted for decades because they
are now perceived under the all-overriding label of being
Jewish/German/Hutu/Croat/Arab/Protestant/Kurd/you name it. And, since they
lead to rape, murder and even genocide, these must be very strong feelings
indeed. Yet, there seem to be some cultures that are more or less "immune"
to this - or is that just wishful thinking?

Gabriele Kahn