LL-L 'History' 2006.07.11 (05 [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 11 16:29:13 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 11 July 2006 * Volume 05

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'History' 2006.07.11 (04) [E]

Vlad Lee wrote:
"Why all those things are exactly Dutch? I vaguely remember one explanation I
read years and years ago: shiploads of arrogant Dutch courtiers, their servants
and knechten followed William of Orange across the Ditch to swagger around
London. True?"

Perhaps it's also something to do with Dutch commercial supremacy. The Dutch and
the English / British were competing for control of the sea as well. The quickest
slurs to take hold are those to do with persistent rivals.

Go raibh maith agat

Críostóir.