LL-L 'Auctions' 2006.07.12 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 13 03:42:03 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 12 July 2006 * Volume 09

From: Tom Mc Rae <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L 'Auctions' 2006.07.12 (07) [E]

On 13/07/2006, at 10:20 AM, Hugo Zweep' <Zweep at bigpond.com> wrote:

>> A Dutch auction is where the auctioneer starts with
>>
>> a high price and
>>
>> decreases that price until one of the particpants
>>
>> accepts the price being
>>
>> offered.
Churches in Ghana had annual harvest festivals with so-called Dutch Auctions.
First on offer would be a small jar of local earth which the Chief was expected
to buy.
Next a glass of water, then bread and many other items.
The system they used was somewhat different in that each bidder paid cash to the
steward for the amount he/she bid and then the bidding went ever higher, each
paying requisite amount. Rather exponential in its way but it raised money by the
ton.

Regards

Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia

Oh Wad Some Power the Giftie Gie Us
Tae See Oorsel's as Ithers See Us
Robert Burns

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Auctions

Tom,

Not that I know a whole lot about auctions, but I am curious to know what part of
Ghana you are talking about.  Was it Twi- or Fante-speaking?  Are we talking
about Lutheran churches?  Or did the same thing apply to all areas and all
churches?  You see, I'm wondering if this variant of auction was a hangover from
the German colonial era, perhaps something that is related to the Dutch system
and in Germany is now gone or almost gone (perhaps still lingering on in some
rural communities).

Our local Lutheran church in southern Hamburg once had a Twi-speaking pastor from
Ghana, later a Cantonese-speaking one from Hong Kong.  They were both very well
liked, and both spoke excellent German (the Cantonese speaker also making a bit
of an effort with Low Saxon).  Apparently, German is still being taught among
Lutheran clerics in Ghana.