LL-L 'History' 2006.07.13 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 13 14:33:28 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 13 July 2006 * Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'History' 2006.07.12 (02) [E]

    From: R. F. Hahn
    Subject: History

    As for words with "Dutch," there isn't anything negative I can think of in Low
    Saxon dialects of Germany. Below is what I wrote about this a while back.
    Besides what I wrote then, there is also a type of sailing vessel that is called
    _Hollanner_ (as in "The Flying Dutchman").

I recall reading in a maritime history book long ago, that in the original tale
the "Flying Dutchman" was a "Deutschman"; a German captain who swore he would
round the Cape (either of Good Hope or Horn depending on the version) even if he
had to sail till the Crack of Doom.  So he's still out there.
Oddly, the name of the captain was said to be something like Vanderdekken, which
sounds more "Dutch" than "Deutsch"!

Paul Finlow-Bates

---------