LL-L 'Delectables' 2006.07.16 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 17 06:17:53 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 16 July 2006 * Volume 05

From: Tom Mc Rae <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L 'Delectables' 2006.07.16 (03) [E/LS]

On 17/07/2006, at 9:53 AM, Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org> wrote:

> Subject:  LL-L 'Delectables' 2006.07.16 (02) [E/LS]
>
>  (Liberton now a suburb in the southernmost reaches of
>
> Edinburgh)

I grew up near Liberton and know the place well.
Many years ago there was a leper colony there and the old Liberton Kirk  has a
Lepers' window through which they could watch the services.
A local theory in my days was that Liberton was a derivation of "Leper Toon"
which seems plausible to me.
A walk along the stream at Liberton Dams will bring any Geology fans to Glacier
Rock. It is virtually unknown to people nowadays but the French geologist Agassiz
discovered scratches on rocks there which caused him to say to his companions
'C'est la travaille de la glace'. I was pleased to see this relic of Ice Age activity
remained un-vandalised during my visit in 2004.

Regards

Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia

Oh Wad Some Power the Giftie Gie Us