LL-L 'History' 2006.07.20 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 20 19:25:54 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 20 July 2006 * Volume 05

From: 'Global Moose Translations' <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L 'History' 2006.07.20 (01) [E]

Paul Finlow-Bates wrote:
>There is quite a bit of discussion of this on an Old English site I visit.
There
>are some odd politics about the issue of English settlement that seems to
cut
>across logic. For some reason there is a desperate need to deny any
Germanic
>origins to England or English, and an obvious difficulty with reconciling
this
>with the basic language. We therefore have a range of such theories,
which,
>conveniently, are completely unprovable - and as you point out Ron, often
>self-contradictory.

moustache I
>fear.

Blame it all on Charlie Chaplin, will you! Tsk.

This reminds me of two world-famous German dog breeds, "Deutscher
Schäferhund", or German Shepherd, which is known as an Alsatian in Britain
because nothing good could possibly come from Germany, and "Deutsche Dogge",
which is known to the world as Great Dane, although they have nothing to do
with Denmark. Actually, this even came full circle when they called them
"Dänische Dogge" in Germany for a while.

Then you have dachshounds, also called "Wiener dogs" abroad although they
are not from Austria... or would this be for different reasons, perhaps? :-)

Coincidentally, maybe this also explains several items on the "Dutch" list
someone posted the other day - perhaps calling them "German" was simply not
done when the terms were coined?

By the way, did anyone notice that I smuggled in "touch football", "touch
screen" and "touch-me-not" in that list?

Gabriele Kahn