LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.07.22 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jul 22 23:05:44 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 22 July 2006 * Volume 03

From: 'Karl-Heinz Lorenz' <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.07.22 (01) [E/French/German]

> As far as I know, the English derivative is not *"dachshound" but
> "dachshund,"
> pronounced by most as ["dæks(@)nd].
>
> In North America, the nickname "wiener dog" (not directly from "Vienna"
> but from
> "Vienna sausage") is in some quarters becoming the actual name, as is
> "sausage
> dog" in other quarters. These days I hear the word "dachshund" used only
> by
> serious dog lovers and breeders.

O.k. but I'd like to mention additionally that this small-dog-sausage-thing is
something typical Austrian-Bavarian, confer the "Zamperl":

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamperl

----------

From: 'Global Moose Translations' <globalmoose at t-online.de>

Karl-Heinz wrote:
>You're insinuating to the Austrians to be "Dackel" (synonym for Dachshund
in sse
>German) in the sense of "submissive persons" (cf. also: Dackelblick), i.e.
narrow
>minded bourgeois', bootlickers, ex-nazi-collaborators, still- and/or
>crypto-nazis, Schwarzeneggers, Ahnolds, Waldheimers,
tooth-brush-moustaches,
>y-chromosome-wannabe-scientists, notsomuchgermanic-y-chromosome-having and
>alcoholically-y-chromosome-damaged Schrumpfgermanen ...

But no, I would never insinuate such a thing, especially since some of my
ancestors came from Tirol about 500 years ago... I once had a fling with an
Austrian named Sepp (what else) when I was sixteen... and, of course, some
of my best friends are Austrian (well, at least one of them is)! Also, I do
not condone stereotypes based on race, gender, ethnicity, religion (insert
the usual string of disclaimers here).

I was referring to the American habit of calling a Teckel (the correct,
official breed name - no serious breeder in Germany would call them anything
else!) a "wiener dog" because their basic shape is that of a sausage, and
what we would call a "Bockwurst" in German is usually called a "wiener" in
America (and made into a hot dog - another connection).

Of course they are vaguely badger-shaped, in order to be able to enter
underground burrows. As ridiculous and overbred as they may seem to some
people, they are actually very brave, smart and independent dogs by nature
(as anyone knows who ever tried to train one). Once a Teckel is underground
after a fox or badger, it's completely on its own, after all, and cannot
rely on any orders or hints from its master to deal with the situation it
may find there. Also, they tend to bark a lot, what makes them a little
obnoxious as pets if they are not well brought up. But that is another
survival trait: once the Teckel is stuck underground, because the burrow
caved in, it is unable to turn around, or its return is cut off by the owner
of the burrow, its survival depends on constant barking, letting its owner,
the hunter, know where to dig.

I once knew a dachshund named Wastl (actually, he belonged to that Austrian
friend I mentioned) who was lying in the sun on the terrace, minding his
own business, watching a group of young neighbours' children play (their
parents worked, as I did, in the institute founded by Konrad - not
Karl-Heinz - Lorenz, another Austrian of note) when a rabid fox appeared out
of nowhere and approached the children. Suddenly Wastl was among them,
ripping that fox to pieces before anyone knew what was happening. Good thing
he had had his shots, so he didn't end up like Old Yeller. Instead, he made
it into the national newspapers, hero of the day! Never underestimate a
Teckel.

Back to the word dog/Dogge: I had been wondering whether it could be related
to the verb "dock", because the kind of dog called "Dogge" in German would
traditionally have docked ears and/or a docked tail (possibly because they
were bred for fighting).

Gabriele Kahn