LL-L 'Morphology' 2006.07.25 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 25 14:48:33 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 25 July 2006 * Volume 01

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Morphology

I wrote:

> _Ein Brieflein der Mutter_ silly, archaic and most misleading,
> since what is meant to be dative would come across as genitive ("A Letter of/from
> Mother").

Well, duh!  The syntactic structure would have to change to make sure it's
understood as dative: _Der Mutter ein Brieflein_.  Those of the problems coming
with language varieties that retain more complex case morphology.  In the
Lowlands languages this has been greatly simplified, as we all know, so you have
to choose prepositions.

a letter to mother
a letter from mother

Dutch:
een brief(je) aan moeder
een brief(je) van moeder

Afrikaans:
'n brief(ie) vir mamma (for or to, or either?)
'n brief(ie) van mamma

Low Saxon:
'n breyv an mouder
('n Breef an Moder)
'n breyv vun/von/van mouder
('n Breef vun/von/van Moder)

But in today's German you'd do it the same way:
einen Brief an (die) Mutter
einen Brief von (der) Mutter

older:
(der) Mutter einen Brief
einen Brief (von) (der) Mutter

Yiddish:
a brivele der mamen ~ der mamen a brivele
fun der mame a brivele ~ a brivele fun der mame (both genitive and elative)

From: 'Ria Noome' <ria.noome at deneloptronics.co.za
Subject: LL-L 'Morphology' 2006.07.24 (06) [A/E]

Vlad
As far as I know there is a guy in Russia who teach Afrikaans at a University in
Russia where I dont know but I know Afrikaans is popular in Russia and thats good
we feel very good about that and proud.
In Afrikaans you can express yourself but sometimes when you dont have words to
express yourself you turn to English:-)) but everybody always said you can "swear
good in Afrikaans" :-))))) I know Afrikaans and the Jewish language sounds the
same for somebody who dont understand the language. They said its the "gh" sound
the sound you hear in the throat. I listen to a Jewish teacher one day and you
can here the "gh" sound much.
Language can be a fun thing sometimes aswell specially when somebody pronouns
something different than the real meaning of the word. I must tell you something.
One of the French visitors was in a accident in Piet Retief, his colleque came to
visit and told us the "ko" jump infront of the car. We couldnt understand at all
what the "ko" was, after much discussion we realise it was a cow that walked
infront of their car and cause the accident:-)) we had such a smile on our faces
but unfortunately our French visitor was in hospital for quiet some time and was
off work for three months. So in language one can have a smile sometime.
Good day for you
greetings
ria