LL-L 'Language proficiency' 2006.07.24 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 25 05:07:48 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 24 July 2006 * Volume 10

From: 'Marcel Bas' <roepstem at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Morphology' 2006.07.24 (07) [A/E]

Dag Vlad!

Djy't gaskryf:

"After all, you don't need to leave this list to see it for yourself. Take Marcel
Bas, the true master of many languages. BTW, where on earth is he now? Hey
Marcel! Lewe jy nog, of het jy gesmelt en ontdooi?"

'n Meester van baie tale? Da-uzh! Nu, spasibo! That's too much honour, Vlad! Now
I'm blushing... Still, I haven't MASTERED all the the lingos to the true extent!
There is yet a lot to learn! And my command of only seven Indo-European languages
(my command of two others is not worth adding to the seven) will wither in the
shadow of Reinhard, our poly-poly-polyglot.

No man, I have been so terribly busy lately. One of the most interesting things
happened: last week I had a delegation from South Africa here. They were sleeping
over at my place and we agreed on meeting again, in South Africa in two weeks.
Not too far away from Port Elizabeth. These ouks are really into philosophy, so
am I, they are proud of their language and Afrikaans heritage, they publish a lot
and I guess most Afrikaans people will know their names. I'd like to assist them
in their endeavours. For De Roepstem I'll write a nice article on their visit to
the Lowlands, about their aims and my visiting them, WHEN I HAVE TIME. Also the
other weeks have been too busy to do anything else...

But I haven't forgotten about you, Vlad, I still have my reply to your nice
e-mail waiting in my 'drafts' file. The same counts for Koal-Haanz, the other
'Buam'-half. I also still want to reply to your message, Koal-Haanz (or was it a
lengthy contribution to the forum? I'll look it up. It was i.a. about the
Kanaltal, which is indeed a fascinating part of Europe! Is Radio Val Canala still
broadcasting in the Rosental?). You see, I don't like writing short e-mails to
people to whom I have so much to tell. But I must say that I don't like this bad
side of my character that is so prone to procrastination. It's also because there
are too many interesting things happening at the same time. Maybe it's due to
some sort of lazy-making perfectionism, chi lo sa?

So this week I'm busy preparing for my trips to and through the Cape Provinces in
South Africa. Unfortunately I will stay in SA for only 17 days. Maybe I will meet
more people; I am busy founding a pan-Dutch, arty & philosophical magazine with
some Dutch and Flemish people, and last week my two guests told me that two other
Afrikaans writers are interested. But they live in the Gauteng province. That's a
bit hectic, but if I do find the time, I will most definitely rush though that
province and maak 'n draai in Alberton, OK? :). I also have to do a bit of
research for my thesis in Grahamstown.

Today I have saved the British version of the Wren Story, changed the word _wren_
into _tinktinkie_, printed it and kept it in my bag. I'll bring it to PE.
Hopefully that will do the job. Maybe my cousin will adjust the text a bit to
make it sound a bit more SA English, before reading it aloud on the tape. So on
Saturday I'll be in South Africa.

I'm already nervous, as it will be a rather busy couple of weeks, as you can see.
But I will be so happy to be back in South Africa and hear this beautiful
Afrikaans language once again. I haven't spoken it for three solid days, and I'm
already missing it!

Best regards,

Marcel.

http://roepstem.net