LL-L 'Language proficiency' 2006.07.25 (04) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 25 15:42:41 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 25 July 2006 * Volume 04

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.07.24 (03) [E]

    From: 'Karl-Heinz Lorenz'

    He probably didn't speak a single word in Standard German. About 90 % of the
    people in the Tyrol never do.

Aw, that's not fair! I visited the Zillertal last month; they all spoke Standard
German to me, though I couldn't understand a word when they spoke to each other.
 Or doesn't the Zillertal count as "Tyrol"? I'm not exactly sure about the
boundaries of the region.

Paul

----------

From: 'Ria Noome' <ria.noome at deneloptronics.co.za>
Subject: LL-L 'Language proficiency' 2006.07.24 (04) [E]

Hi Paul
Thanks for the info. Its just strange for me when somebody would talk about an
article and he or she cannot remember if it was in Afrikaans or English. Either
then they must say that there is an article on such an such a topic and give the
authors name or do a search on the article but yes, it can happen that somebody
forgot or is not sure if an article is in English or Afrikaans, strange but true,
we are all human hey:-)))
There was a huge discussion on a radio programme a month or so ago in connection
with the Englis versus Afrikaans. The guy on the radio programme said that if you
cannot speak English properly you cannot do any bussiness at all, I must tell you
all hell break lose here:-))) We disagree with him totally. I have alot of
overseas visitors at my work and specially the French and China people, some of
them can only speak in key word so to speak but they are doing business.
Sometimes in a discussion, the French talk each other in French and the
Afrikaners talk to each other in Afrikaans, they discuss a matter come together
and the discussion goes on in English and the bussiness is doing well and is
going on. So we said if somebody can help himself in English and can do bussiness
for him or her self in English even though its not perfect English why the big
quarrel? Lots of people in Europe cannot speak English very well. Its good and
knowledge to know your language in every part of the language and even another
language, I am learning French at the moment and I must tell you its not so easy
because of the male and female words but its a wonderful romantic:-)) language
and my biggest dream is to go to France one day:-)))
Well, have a wonderful day
greetings
ria

----------

From: 'Ria Noome' <ria.noome at deneloptronics.co.za>
Subject: LL-L 'Language proficiency' 2006.07.24 (10) [E]

Marcel
I do wish you a wonderful stay in South Africa my proud country and I am glad you
speak the language. Me, myself is busy learning French. At my work I meet alot of
overseas people for instance the French due to contract etc. so they help me alot
with the French:-))) its going slowly but surely. Its getting warmer in South
Africa you will definately feel it. I dont think I will every stay very long in a
Europe country due to the weather we are so use to fantastic warm weather but you
never can tell hey:-))
Well, geniet SA en lekker kuier hier by ons
groete
ria