LL-L 'Language proficiency' 2006.07.25 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 26 17:54:44 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 26 July 2006 * Volume 07

From: 'Karl-Heinz Lorenz' <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L 'Language proficiency' 2006.07.25 (04) [E]

Paul, you wrote:

> ..., though I couldn't understand a word when they spoke to each
> other.

I must add one thing, as I wrote German and Tyrolean are mutually intelligible.
It's only if you are used to Tyrolean and other Southern-German dialects. In the
German speaking world everybody knows this Bavarian-Austrian idioms from
Heimatfilmen, "Sissi-"Filmen (actually I think I got my first name from Karlheinz
Böhm who played the Kaiser in these films) Schlagermusik, Volksmusik etc. When
Tyroleans notice that someone is not from a German speaking country they don't
expect to be understood and switch to Standard-German (or a sort of it, kind of
Alpine "Missingsch").

Karl-Heinz