LL-L 'Sports' 2006.06.20 (05] [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jun 20 23:50:16 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 20 June 2006 * Volume 05

From: 'Ben J. Bloomgren' <godsquad at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L 'Sports' 2006.06.20 (021 [E]

Do I really need to remind you that soccer is a minor sport for men in the
U.S.,
is seen mostly as as girls' sport by most Americans, as an "ethnic" sport if
played by men (due to being predominated by men born outside the U.S.)? How
much
soccer coverage is there on American TV? (I'm supprised there's that much
coverage of the World Cup.)
Ah yeah, Ron, we have full coverage, but it stinks for blind folk because
they augment what is seen. They don't do play-by-play. There are five sports
that I'd love to get interested in, but I can't because I can't find actual
commentary in English. They are soccer, rugby, cricket, Canadian and
Australian Football. Canadian football can be heard on the Internet though.
FIFA's got a stranglehold on soccer so much that I can't go to BBC 5Live to
hear the games.
Ben

----------

From: Tom Mc Rae <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>

On 21/06/2006, at 12:56 AM, R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm actually surprised the US and Australian teams did as well as they did at the
>
> World Cup.
Just keep in mind Ron the fact that Brazil did not defeat Australia.
All that really happened was that the Socceroos did not score enough goals to
win. :-)

Regards

Tom Mc Rae

Brisbane Australia