LL-L 'Sports' 2006.06.20 (06] [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jun 21 00:32:42 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 20 June 2006 * Volume 01

From: Andrys Onsman <andrys.onsman at calt.monash.edu.au>
Subject: LL-L 'Sports' 2006.06.20 (03) [E]

As an ardent football player, I admit to loving the World Cup and to
"running on empty" during the day. In Australia, the late great Johnny
Warren summed up the Oz situation with the title of his autobiography,
"Wogs, Sheilahs and Poofters." But having reached the finals (any Oz
team has to be the best in the world to get any media coverage), the
entire country is now behind the Socceroos. The next game against
Croatia will be interesting: seven Australian players have Croatian
heritage, while three Croatians were actually born and raised in
Australia. Now that Nederland has qualified for the next round I can
devote all my support to Australia. Ron, the new A-League comprises
determinedly non ethnically based teams. Early days, but it seems to be
working. And I agree that AFL is a tough sport (nearly as tough as
women's lacrosse - now, that's a brutal sport!), but when it flows, it's
beautiful. Nowadays, when you're too old to play Aussie Rules, you go
off to the USA to play gridiron.

----------

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L 'Sports' 2006.06.20 (05] [E]

At 04:50 PM 06/20/06 -0700, Ben J. Bloomgren wrote:
>Do I really need to remind you that soccer is a minor sport for men in the
>U.S.,
>is seen mostly as as girls' sport by most Americans, as an "ethnic" sport if
>played by men (due to being predominated by men born outside the U.S.)? How
>much
>soccer coverage is there on American TV? (I'm supprised there's that much
>coverage of the World Cup.)

Soccer is a sport for people who are not smart enough to understand baseball.

Ed Alexander, from the land of the game with the three downs.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Sports

G'day, Andrys!

> Ron, the new A-League comprises
> determinedly non ethnically based teams. Early days, but it seems to be
> working.

That's good to know.

> Nowadays, when you're too old to play Aussie Rules, you go
> off to the USA to play gridiron.

Is that before or after playing lawn bowling?  ;-)

Ed:

> Soccer is a sport for people who are not smart enough to understand baseball.

Thanks for sharing this, Master Alexander.  And, being ethno-nationally
ambiguous, I counter this with "Baseball is a sport for people not civilized
enough for cricket."

Talking about tough, where do Canadian icehockey players go when they aren't
tough enough anymore?

Cheerio, sports!