LL-L 'Phonology' 2006.06.26 (01 [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jun 26 17:28:57 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 26 June 2006 * Volume 01

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L 'Phonology' 2006.06.26 (08] [E]

> From: 'Stellingwerfs Eigen' <info at stellingwerfs-eigen.nl
> Subject: LL-L 'Phonology'
>
> Henno wrote:
>> And further broken to "jin" and "ien" [jIn] as well. Here "jin" is
>> the objective form of "one" as an indefinite pronoun (belonging to
>> "men"
> [m at n] as
>> the subjective form):
>> "men moat jin altyd waskje" (one always has to wash oneself), and as
>> an cardinal it is broken in
>> compounds: "ienentweintich" ([jIn at ntwaint@x].
>
> Additional to that _jin_ in 'ienentweintig' sometimes we use
> 'jitres' (Nl.
> eens, éénmaal; E. once, one time).

"jitris" means "one more time", not just "one time" (at least to me).
This has nothing to do with "jin" but with "jit" which has the same
origin as "yet" in English.
"jit" is now an obsolete word in West Frisian ("noch" is just now).
Of course "ris" comes from "*re:s", cf Dutch "reis" (older Dutch 'nog
een reis' = nog eens, nog een keer).

Henno