LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.06.27 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jun 27 22:29:47 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 27 June 2006 * Volume 07

From: 'Rikus Kiers' <kiersbv at tiscali.nl>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.06.27 (04) [E]

about ready

Dear Adam,
To ready could be in dutch Opruimen( give more space by cleaning
up),Opschonen( make more beauty by cleaning up), In Drenthe (saxon) we used
to say Ophemmeln( certainly it has something to do with heaven, or probably
sky).Very old middle-south East Drents: do meuse nog even de deel(part of
the barn beside the haystorage, part of a dutch farmhouse) ophemmeln .
I cannot image any relation with ready. maybe someone else does?

Greetings

Rikus Kiers

----------

From: 'KO'Donnell' <odonnellk at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.06.23 (02] [E]

Hi Adam,

I heard the term "Redd Up" when I was living in Shetland. It is still in
common use and means to clean up. There is an annual event called
the "Voar Redd Up", where many of the Shetlanders walk along the roadsides
and beaches picking up the year's accumulation of litter. Voar is the
Shetland word for Spring. Maybe you have some Shetland ancestry?

http://www.shetland-heritage.co.uk/amenitytrust/environment/environment.html

A' da best

Kevin O'Donnell

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>