LL-L "Delectables" 2006.03.03 (04) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 3 16:19:42 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

03 March 2006 * Volume 04

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.03.02 (06) [D]

> From: Roland Desnerck <desnerck.roland at skynet.be>
> Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.03.02 (05) [E]
>
> Beste Lowlanders,
> In Oostende kennen we "lapkoes" als vissersgerecht.
> Het bestaat uit aardappelen, ajuin (ui), laurier en
>of ingeblikt vlees of vis. Dit werd op
> zee gegeten. Aan land kennen we ook iets dergelijks
> maar dan wordt het"potsjetegoare" genoemd, d.i.
 > potje tegader (samen,>together).
> Toetnoasteki.
> Roland Desnerck
==============================
Hi Roland,

Vergelijk [ongeveer] hetzelfde gerecht en dezelfde
naam in noorwegen.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: Hugo Zweep <Zweep at bigpond.com>

The earlier reference to lobs skos had a ring to it and, sure enough, I find
that Patrick O'Brian has Aubrey and Maturin eating a stew called lobscouse.
Follow that through and you get a Welsh dish called lobscowse - a beef
stew - and, above all, labskause which is the original name for O'Brian's
mutton stew called lobscouse, brought to Liverpool by seafarers and which
ultimately gave us scouse, the Liverpuddlian dialect.

Since it seems to have come from seamen, is it reasonable to suppose a
Lowland origin?

Hugo Zweep

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Hi, Hugo!

> Since it seems to have come from seamen, is it reasonable to suppose a
> Lowland origin?

Hmmm ... not necessarily.  It's origin is widely said to be obscure, as is
its etymology.  The world of old-time sailors was a rather international
one.  Whatever of their common culture they took back to their respective
home bases was eventually claimed as home-grown regional or local.  This is
the case with _Labskaus_; most Germans believe it originated in Hamburg.

English etymologists have been guessing that the "lob-" part of "lobscouse"
comes from obsolete "to lob" meaning 'to bubble up', based on "loblolly," an
alternative name for lobscouse, "lolly" having the earlier meaning "soup"
(or "stew"?).

I am more inclined to guess that we are dealing with Norwegian origin
(_lapskaus_), bearing in mind close ties between Britain and Low Saxon areas
and sailors and merchants with coastal Norway, and also bearing in mind that
the name seems much more Norwegian than Lowlandic.  Unfortunately, Norwegian
sources, such as dictionaries, consider the origin uncertain also:

Dano-Norwegian (Bokmål):
*lapskaus* _-en_ (lty _labskaus_ el. eng. _lobscouse_, uvisst opph) matrett
av kjøttbiter, oppskårne poteter og grønnsaker (i en saus) _lys l- / brun l-
/_ overf: sammensurium / _innstillingen er en l- av ulike standpunkter_

Neo-Norwegian (Nynorsk):
*lapskaus* m1 (eng. *lobscouse*; uvisst opph) matrett av kjøtbitar,
oppskorne poteter og grønsaker i ein saus _brun l- / lys l- /_ overf:
samansurium _innstillinga er ein rein l- av ulike synspunkt_

Thus:

"*lapskaus* (L. Germ. _labskaus_ or Eng. _lobscouse_, uncert. orig.) dish
consisting of meat bits and vegetables (in a sauce); "brown l.", "light l.";
ext.: 'hotchpotch', e.g., "the attitude is based on a real _lapskaus_ of
dissimilar views.""

Roland mentioned that in Flanders _lapkoes_ is considered a seamen's dish
and its equivalent on land is _potsjetegoare_ (lit.
"pot/saucepan-together").  The original idea of _potsjetegoare_ ("everything
and the kitchen sink thrown into a pot and cooked up," "one-pot meal") is
the same as that of German _Eintopf_ ("one-pot") and of Low Saxon
_mang-koukt-eten_ (<Mangkookteten> "among/mix-cooked-meal").  However, these
denote mostly hearty soups and stews that make whole meals, and many people
might not consider North German _Labskaus_ one of those.  In fact, since it
has become a local or regional delicacy, many cooks make quite a to-do about
preparing it, considering boiled eggs, pickled cucumbers and/or diced
Bismarck herring or Matjes herring essential ingredients that are added just
before serving.  I've heard of some people even adding diced pickled red
beets.  And it goes without saying that everyone's _Labskaus_ recipe it not
only the best but also the original version.

(suddenly suffering from a violent bout of spring allergies ...)