LL-L "Literature" 2006.03.03 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 3 17:01:07 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

03 March 2006 * Volume 05

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Literature

Dear Lowlanders,

Our Arthur Jones (arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com) has been at it again, for quite
some time now, in fact, bringing the world and history of the old Goths to
us by means of _poésie gothesque_ in English.  It's all part of a wonderful
project, the divulging, if any, of which I will leave to the man himself.

One of my hats being that of Arthur's personal copier-and-paster, I'm
bringing you below, upon The Arthur's request, one of his poignant lyrical
pieces based on a grave mark along one of the Gothic migration trails.
Arthur has been invited to read it at universities in eastern U.S. states,
the ticket sales profits going toward efforts to promote and protect women's
human rights worldwide (by the NGO, non-governmental organizations
associated with the United Nations).

So here's our Arthur running it by his "Treble Ell" friends for comments and
suggestions.

Enjoy!

Reinhard/Ron

***

   I AM A YOUNG GIRL,
        GOOD AND PRETTY

   Alaliutha, best of wives,
        Told me then we had no choice:
   Time to join the Kuni marching.
        South we trod, proud and knowing,

   Shining steeds and shields and axes,
        Glowing hopes as spring unfurled
   Its valley blossoms;
        Pleasant hints

   Of songs to come in forest friendship

   When we at last have land

   On sun-baked shores where ancient gods
        Prepared the beds to plant Goth seed.

   This was the last cry of the northern Raven:
   “I gave you warnings, gave you counsel, and
        Gave you the path. Now harken
   To black, shine-wing wisdom—”

   Then the words:

   “I am a young girl, good and pretty.”

   When we neared the lowest reaches
        Of the rivers Goths had followed,
   We discovered Death’s own scribe:
        A pestilence that carves its runes
   And etches them on all men’s faces,
   Ranging through the lowland swamps
        Singling out the fairest children:

   “I am a young girl, good and pretty.”

   Long we wrestled, fought this plague,
        Saw departing our own daughter—
   Nights of screaming, sweating hell,

   End in silence.

   Time to tell
        A tomb-builder to raise a stone,
   And prove she did not die unloved.

   The only soul in all that region
        Who did ken the stone-book rune
   Was Drutios, a Celt.

   Master of his art, he slowly chiselled
        Tender tribute to her, in Gaulish words.

   I am told they say:

   GENETA IMI DAGA VIMPI

   I AM A YOUNG GIRL, GOOD AND PRETTY

   Our daughter lives here.