LL-L "Resources" 2006.03.03 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 3 21:56:26 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

03 March 2006 * Volume 11

From: Karl Schulte <kschulte01 at alamosapcs.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.03.03 (09) [E]

As for the lady, it's "my" Auntie Clara (who passed away not too long
ago).
Reinhard,
I am very sorry to hear that. My condolances and at least you have done
the wonderful action of recording/preserving many of her memories and
wisdom and family tradition for later generations who should treasure
them. It is far too often that such tradition, memories and experiences
in life are lost.

I suggest that the younger members and lurkers of this list do the same
and "pump" as we say (i.e. encourage) older family members to share with
you there stories (icluding the ones THEIR folks were better off not
knowing - those old folks were young once). Put it on paper so that it
never goes away (who can find an 8 track tape today?)as well as tape,
MP3, etc. Also make a family tree and what is known of each (where, when
, who , why, occupation, special events, where buried, etc.) and mark up
all photo's in home before who is on them is forgotten. Teens and young
20's seldom are interested it seems (I was different in that) but later
family origins and history interest is reawakened when it is almost too
late. Such info should be stored in 2 copies, one in a safe, fire/flood
place - not behind a weak dike - and copies made for each child, nephew
, etc. I was surprised and delighted that my cousin Karl Schulte of
"Electro-Schulte" store in Emden had our Texas Schulte's down to my
father (Johann Heinrich Schulte - John Henry in everyday use)birth
notice in 1918. He added what I could furnish when we met in his home.
NOW is about the right time; we can get to know that great grandfather
who loved us as a baby, but who passed away when we were small. Modern
life tends to sunder families; this is a way to bring them together in
time and space.

Karl