LL-L "Diversity" 2006.03.03 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 3 21:59:24 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

03 March 2006 * Volume 12

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Diversity" 2006.03.03 (08) [E]

Pat Reynolds wrote:
"...the Co-op in Hay on Wye puts Welsh on top and largest (and sometimes
doesn't put the English on at all) ... and this store is in England."

That is an interesting example of overspill.

I understand there are a couple of thousand autochthonous (there's that word
again) Welsh speaking communities situated in what is legislatively
England - I have heard Oswestry described as a "Welsh-speaking town" more
than once, which I took to mean it was a town with a Welsh-speaking
minority, possibly migrant in origin. Historically Oswestry seems to have
been Welsh-speaking until the modern era, though - the famous Celtic
language scholar Edward Lhuyd hailed from there, and the town's western
hinterland (situated in what is legislatively Wales) is still predominantly
Welsh-speaking today.

I would be grateful if anyone on the list could clarify the pos! ition of
ancient, autochthonous Welsh in Oswestry or any other part of the former
Welsh marches in England. (Liverpool, of course, has long had an active
Welsh-speaking minority but these by and large appear to be entirely
migrants.)

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Criostóir.

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

Further to Pat's experience in Hay-on-Wye, I should have mentioned that on
my recent trip to Cornwall last month the local train company - well, when I
say local it's actually headquartered in Bristol - had obviously purchased
its train second hand from a company in Wales, because all the emergency
instructions were in English and (liberally translated) Welsh.

Not exactly Cornish - if Wessex Trains even know or care that that language
exists - but close enough that I had to do a momentary double take when I
first sat down.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.