LL-L "Diversity" 2006.03.04 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Mar 4 22:15:52 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 04 February 2006 * Volume 02

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Diversity" 2006.03.03 (03) [E]

  Críostóir, Dan and all;
One thing I noticed in Wales was that often the Welsh goes above the
English, but in a smaller font.  However, this is largely due to space,
since in most cases a Welsh word or phrase requires about 50% more letters
than it's English translation!

Another notable effect was that I rapidly picked up the Welsh for common
terms on road signs etc, at least to read, even if I couldn't pronounce
them; it is quicker to recognise the Welsh for "Slow Down" or "Services"
than to read on to find the English.  This must subliminally reinforce the
language.

Paul Finlow-Bates