LL-L "Phonology" 2006.03.05 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Mar 5 20:15:50 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 05 February 2006 * Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2006.03.04 (01) [E]

  From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder
  Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2006.03.03 (07) [E]

  ...I am curious if and how native English speakers still distinguish
  and in their pronunciation.
  For me and other Dutchophones they usually sound the same, and I pronounce
  both as , so I wouldn't tell e.g. whether and weather from each other.
  But maybe some regional pronos or sociolect still have ('hw')?

  Wondering which,
  Ingmar

>From Paul Finlow-Bates

I, and I believe the majority of native speakers in England who have little
or nothing in the way of a regional accent, don't differentiate -  the
country "Wales" and the large marine mammals "whales" sound identical when I
say them.  Scots, for the most part, do pronounce the diffe! rence, though I
suspect less so than in the past.  That also seems to be a feature of many
(but not all) varieties of North American English, and most Irish people I
know, northern or southern.

I can't offhand think of many regional English dialects that stress the
difference either; some forms of Yorkshire seem to, but not as strongly as
Scots.  I've noticed it is a feature of many fluent non-native English
speakers, especially from the Indian sub-continent, who have been taught
English "properly".  People of that origin raised in England don't normally
differentiate though.

It seems to be one of the older sounds we've lost, like the medial "r" in
words like "park", "cart", which most Scots and Americans (and Southwest
English) still pronounce.

Paul