LL-L "Phonology" 2006.03.06 (08) [E

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 7 00:38:05 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 06 February 2006 * Volume 08

From: Ian Pollock <ispollock at shaw.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2006.03.06 (02) [E]

Dear Ingmar;

> From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
> Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2006.03.04 (04) [E]
>
> Thank you, Ian, interesting. So <wh> is called "voiceless w"...
> Does that mean that it is the voiceless counterpart of general w,
> which would be voiced then?
> I always thought that it was pronounced, if at all, as a kind of
> strong <h> followed by <w>.
> If I try to pronounce <w> voiceless, it sounds more or less like fw:
> fwe fwere fwondering fwich fway fwe fwere fwandering fwen fwe fwere
> fwood fwalking

According to IPA, /w/ is a voiced labialized velar approximant and wh
(IPA is an upside-down w) is a voiceless labialized velar approximant.
So yes, they are a voiced/voiceless pair according to IPA. But I think
that you are right in one sense because wh is characterized by far, far
more egressive air flow than /w/. As I recall, my phonetics professor
suggested that a better representation might indeed be h + w
co-articulated. I tend to refer back to IPA for the sake of
universality but we shouldn't forget how inaccurate much of their
classification is, particularly with vowels.
Can anyone speak to the sounds leading historically to English wh and w?
-Ian