LL-L "History" 2006.03.07 (05) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 7 21:41:26 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 07 February 2006 * Volume 05

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.03.06 (04) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Delectables

[...]
> * I often think of Hamburg as a part of a
> traditional
> Amsterdam-Hamburg-Copenhagen axis or triangle, with
> London added loosely.
> (You might throw Antwerp, Rotterdam and Bremen into
> it if you will.)
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron
***
Hallo Reinhard,

Het associeren met alles wat niet met het onderwerp te
maken heeft, gaat vanzelf bij mij. En de enige die er
nooit last van heeft, ben ik.

Maar goed, ik weet dat jij graag alles wil weten dat
niet in een encyclopedie staat, dus:

wat de as Amsterdam-Kopenhagen betreft: deze as was zo
ontzettend sterk dat niet veel mensen beseffen hoe
sterk deze as wel was. Het is heel compact samen te
vatten met deze opmerking:
Toen in 1750 de nieuwe schouwburg in Kopenhagen werd
geopend, gebeurde dat met een nederlands toneelstuk in
het nederlands door nederlandse acteurs.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Bedankt, beste Theo.

Wow!  A new theater opening with a Dutch play with Dutch actors in
Copenhagen in 1750!

I think you are right: most people these days don't realize how strong the
connections between Amsterdam, Hamburg and Copenhagen used to be and that
this determined much of the respective cultures.

I read that Dutch songs had been performed in grand style in Copenhagen as
early as in 1552.

Note also that Christianshavn, the famous former sailors' quarter of
Copenhagen (nicknamed _det københavnske Amsterdam_), had been built largely
with the help of Dutch architects, beginning in 1619 -- and you can
definitely tell by the looks of it.

Furthermore, between Amagerbrogade and Amager Fælledvej in Copenhagen there
is a quarter known as _Hollænderdybet_ ("The Hollander Hollow").  This is
where the Dutch Town (_Hollænderbyen_) used to be and where Sønderbro Teater
(South Bridge Theater) still is.

Let's also not forget that especially since the Reformation there have been
in the three cities churches for seamen of the other cities.  In Hamburg
there are still churches for Danes, Norwegians and Swedes.  (Is there a
Dutch one?)  Hamburg's Scandinavian Association (to which I used to belong)
is pretty old, well-established and rather large.

Hamburg was a haven for Lutherans and Calvinists from Dutch-speaking
and -governed areas that where under Spanish (and Roman Catholic) power.
Many "Dutch" people settled in more rural parts in and around Hamburg (as
well as along the German parts of the Lower Rhine and in Eastern Friesland),
and this contributed much to rural industries and cultures, apparently
including Walloons as well, and of course Flemings.  They were particularly
influential in the dairy industry.  Many of these immigrants, like
Huguenots, Jews and other people with minority religions and cultures,
flourished in a special "tolerance zone" in Altona, then a separate city,
now a part of Hamburg.  The street names _Große Freiheit_ and _Kleine
Freiheit_ ("Major/Minor Freedom/Liberty_) are remnants of that era.  It was
as late as 1785 that the same extent of liberty came to be extended to
Hamburg.  French Reformed (Huguenot) churches still exist.  I have several
acquaintances whose Huguenot ancestors immigrated from France and what is
now Southern Belgium to Hamburg.

Hamburg used to be the northernmost Christian mission post from which
Scandinavia was Christianized.  Prior to strong ties between Copenhagen and
Hamburg there was a time of turmoil in which Danes attacked, plundered and
burned Hamburg mostly for the reason of its politico-religious infiltration
purpose.  Even centuries later, Denmark and Northern Germany had at times an
uneasy relationship, especially when Danish rule extended as far down south
as to include Altona.

However, as Protestant-dominated, supposedly sober-thinking and
profit-oriented merchant cities, Copenhagen, Hamburg and Amsterdam mostly
concentrated on trade, realizing that they did much better as partners than
as rivals, also that tolerance attracted "foreign" investment and thus
increased economic wealth.