LL-L "Delectables" 2006.03.09 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Mar 9 18:20:52 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

09 March 2006 * Volume 07

From: Lone Olesen <istranza at yahoo.dk>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.03.07 (04) [E]

Hello to all,

R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm sure I spoke for everyone.  It's good to have
> you back, Lone, and I hope
> you had a great time in Sardinia.

Thanks again, and I sure did...

> An Italian
> acquaintance of mine visits a
> different part of her native country every year.
> Recently I asked her, "So
> what's left? Sardinia?"  Her reaction was what I
> would briefly describe as
> "making a face."  It spoke volumes about attitudes.

Not uncommon, I'm afraid. The stereotype of Sardinia
as a sort of "wild-west" survives to this day. But
never heard of anyone complaining about their
sea-shores...

> Oh, and thanks for the very useful and badly needed
> online Sardinian grammar
> (http://www.limbasarda.it/eng/gram/gram_iniz.html)!

Thanks. The translation is my doing, the Sardinian
version (and the site) is by Nanni Falconi.
To not wander too far off topic, I keep a list of
links to Sardinian language for the ones interested:
http://www.geocities.com/moorella/sardinia.html

> Any chance of a Sardinian translation of "The Wren"
> (http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/), perhaps
> even with a sound file?
> :-)

For the text, my pleasure. But my pronounciation is
not good enough for a sound file. I'd have to look for
someone else interested in doing that.

> This is obviously the equivalent of LS _Sure Supp_,
> G _Saure Suppe_ ("sour
> soup") of our region.
>
> LS _Söte Supp_ ~ _Seute Supp_, G _Süße
> Suppe_.  There are numerous
> varieties of this one, some with grain and dairy
> (including rice, sago and
> semolina, also broken-up LS _Beschüten_, G
> _Zwieback_ 'rusk bread' with milk
> and sugar), others with fruit, fresh or dried.

I thought as much... I am never going to believe the
phrase "this is a Danish-only specialty" again :-)

> (2) Frikadel = Frikadell(e): the orignal hamburger
> (without a bun!)

So, this _frikadel_ is made from cow's meat only? Or
is it different types of minced meat?
The Danish _frikadelle_ is always half minced veal,
half minced pork, (+ egg, milk, flour, onion, salt,
pepper).

> And do you have the equivalent of our _Rundstück
> warm_ (i.e., a halved roll
> topped with cold meat cuts and hot gravy -- perhaps
> the ancestor of the
> "sloppy Jo"?)?

I have never heard about it. Meat cuts yes, gravy
never. Perhaps because white wheat bread only "made
it" into regular meals and/or snacks relatively late.
Black rye-bread was (and still is) the no.1, because
it was cheaper, and you'd have wheat bread at the
lunch table only on a sunday. But white bread in
general is often there at a good _kaffe_, sometimes
you have both bread and _wienerbrød_ (Danish
pastries), and you feel ready to roll out the door.
Not all of this as an everyday event of course, but
i.e. for the benefit of guests.

I think today how to make good _wienerbrød_ must be a
true "craftman's secret". Try as you may, the outcome
is never that of the baker.
(perhaps just as well they are closed at this point).
Regards, Lone Olesen

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Hej, Lone!

Hope you slept well.  Thanks for the explanations.

As far as I know, the original hamburger is made from beef, smooshed
together with soaked stale bread, raw egg, chopped onion, pepper and salt.
(Our Danish friends obviously tried to be fancy by using those poor kalvies
and piggies instead.  ;-) )

Believe you me: Northern Germany and Denmark share a lot of culture and
food, but there's plenty of "weird" Danish stuff left, as North German
visitors to Denmark with attest.  ;-)  I bet this goes both ways.  You may
not hear much about it, because North Germans tend to be rather Danophile
and politely omit the "weird" stuff in polite company.

And, yes, you're absolutely right about Danish pastries.  I've attempted
making them several times, each time following the "best" recipe, including
Danish ones, but I always ended up with funny and overly crispy flat
creatures you wouldn't dare offer even your enemies.  I suspect it's less in
the wrist and in the ingredients than in the baking temperature and time.
Wait!  It's all a conspiracy.  Yes, that's it!

Cheerio!
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: Wow!  I'd love to see a Sardinian translation and also a recording (if
you could shmooze your _amicos sardos_).  Why, I might even bestow a
Hawaiian name upon you, assuming that you would appreciate it (unlike some
people).