LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.11 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Mar 12 04:49:26 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 11 March 2006 * Volume 06

From: Leslie Decker <leslie at familydecker.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

With regard to Elsie's comment about Afrikaans in the city seeming to
have more English-like vowels, I have to point to Texas German as yet
another example of this happening.  Texas German is dying out, but a few
researchers at the University of Texas have been busily collecting as
many interviews as possible with the remaining speakers, the very
youngest of whom are generally in their 60s.

You can read about the project and listen to the interviews with
transcripts at http://www.tgdp.org.

Leslie

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Thank you so much for pointing us to that fantastic resource, Leslie!

(If you keep this up you might end up with a Hawaiian name -- and I don't
mean that in a threatening way.)

Folks, while the background reading is great, the transcripts und recordings
(under "Dialect Archive") are especially interesting to many of us.  To get
access to all transcripts and recordings (sorted by county) you need to
register, and I think it's well worth it.

Very nice!  An exemplary resource!

It would be interesting to find out if there are some speakers of Low Saxon
("Low German") left in any of the Texas communities, also if any of the
existing communities have Sorbian roots and possibly Sorbian substrates in
their German.