LL-L "Delectables" 2006.03.12 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Mar 13 05:46:37 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 12 March 2006 * Volume 10

From: Lone Olesen <istranza at yahoo.dk>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.03.09 (04) [E]

Hello to all,
about the sand-cake again...

Karl Schulte <kschulte01 at alamosapcs.com> wrote:

> Very nice, and sounds familiar. However my Nana
> always squished
> (squeezed very hard) the dough into iron cup forms
> with fluted sides
> (like paper cup cake holders, but iron) to about1/8
> to 1/4 inch (about 3
> to 6 mm) thickness. The result looked like English
> tart

That is surely a different recipee? The sand-cake
dough I mentioned is not hard enough to do that, it
would "float" to the bottom of the forms as soon as
you stopped squishing.
As Ron pointed out - this sand-cake is of the "cake"
family.

Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>:

> Does it look like a lump of sand after you bake the
> fluffy mixture. Am I
> missing something?

It is yellow and "crumbling" in nature, like sand. The
shape is like any shape of baking form you put it
into, the dough is too soft to "stand alone".

R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>:

> "Without any liquid ingredients" except eggs.
>
> The "kha-kha-kha" is something along the lines of a
> cat coughing up a hair
> ball.  ;-)  The more polite version is a suppressed
> little cough.

We learned "the hard" way growing up. If you
accidentally add too much flower, this is what
happens... a lot of dust - and then in the optimism of
young teenagers, all realises its still a cake and eat
it...
But believe it or not, when the amount of flour is
just right and it was not left in the overn too long,
no coughing at all. Even without the extra treat of
whipped cream :-)
regards, Lone

----------

From: Lone Olesen <istranza at yahoo.dk>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.03.09 (07) [E]

More food...

R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hope you slept well.  Thanks for the explanations.

You are welcome. I had a horrible cold these past
days, so now I'm a bit out of "sync" with the answers.

> As far as I know, the original hamburger is made
> from beef, smooshed
> together with soaked stale bread, raw egg, chopped
> onion, pepper and salt.
> (Our Danish friends obviously tried to be fancy by
> using those poor kalvies
> and piggies instead.  ;-) )

That to me is a _karbonade_ (in Danish) made with
ground beef or ground pork and all the said
ingredients (except for the bread which would be
either bread crumbs or flour).

> Believe you me: Northern Germany and Denmark share a
> lot of culture and
> food, but there's plenty of "weird" Danish stuff
> left, as North German
> visitors to Denmark with attest.  ;-)  I bet this
> goes both ways.

I have no doubts about that there is something... I
just wish I knew better what that was. I guess that is
due to the general "dying arts" of the more peculiar
"traditional" recipees.

Answer to PS: A Sardinian translation will come up as
soon as I can... I am not quite sure were the Hawaiian
name comes into it, but I am not in doubt it is an
honour...

Regards, Lone Olesen

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Hej, Lone, "medlækkertunge"!

> You are welcome. I had a horrible cold these past
> days, so now I'm a bit out of "sync" with the answers.

Join the club!  I ended up with an upper and lower respiratory infection and
am still working on it.  This is nothing to take lightly.

I agree about _sandkage_.  It's definitely one of those recipes that must be
followed to the quarter gram.  Yes, I *have* had good ones; even my mother's
wasn't half bad.  I like the lemon variety: added lemon zest.

I'm the better cook, but my wife is the better baker.  Why?  She's very
methodical about it, while I've been known to "wing it," often try to gild
the lily and thereby spoil it.  ;-)

> It is yellow and "crumbling" in nature, like sand. The
> shape is like any shape of baking form you put it > into, the dough is too
> soft to "stand alone".

I only know it in oblong rectangular forms, so you get more or less square
slices.

> That to me is a _karbonade_ (in Danish) made with
> ground beef or ground pork and all the said
> ingredients (except for the bread which would be
> either bread crumbs or flour).

Ah, see!  That's a difference.  In Northern Germany _Karbonade_ is a type of
pork steak.  I think it's shoulder meat, rather marbled usually.  Some
people call pork chops _Karbonade_ too, while others call it _Kottelet_
(Danish _kotelet_ 'cutlet').  It's all very confusing, with home-to-home
variations, at least in metropolitan Hamburg (full of people with different
roots).

> I have no doubts about that there is something... I
> just wish I knew better what that was. I guess that is
> due to the general "dying arts" of the more peculiar
> "traditional" recipees.

Well, by and large the two general cuisines are very much alike, certainly
more closely related than North German cuisine and Norwegian and Swedish
cuisines (though they share a lot also).  I see Danish cuisine as the link,
though I find it in many regards more closely related to North German
cuisine.  Similarly, traditional eating patterns are also quite similar.

You know, Lone, I can't come up with a single Danish dish that I would call
really "weird" if seen from south of the border.  By and large it's the
flavoring and compositions that are "weird."  For instance, Danish pickled
fish tends to be too sweet for us, though not as "bad" as Norwegian and
Swedish ones.  Hot-dog-like sausages can look great (the ones that are not
died bright red) but they taste "disappointing" (especially
_medisterpølse_).  And here lies the reason: the more closely two cuisines
are related, the more people will find fault with the one less familiar with
them.  I guess you get my drift?  ("Ugh, I thought they were wieners, but
they don't taste right.")  This is also how it is between North German and
Dutch cuisines.  Hey, but open-faced sandwiches with good cheese,
_brunsviger_ or seafood (especially smoked) ... they alone make North
Germans feel quite at home north of the border.

While I don't like sweetish fish and the like, and I think that some Danish
treats are nice but a bit over the top (e.g., _stjerneskud_ "shooting star":
two  slices of buttered dark rye bread, one covered with steamed white fish,
the  other with battered, fried plaice, and on top of each a bunch of small
shrimp and some mayonnaise, (fake) caviar and slice of lemon on top of that
...), I've always felt quite at home with Danish cuisine.  Better still,
it's really very much part and parcel of the ideal Danish life style and
hospitality that are second to none in the world, one of the few truly
"civilized" and "sane" oases in a somewhat deranged world.  (Hey!  This
sounds really Danophile!)

P.S.:
> Answer to PS: A Sardinian translation will come up as
> soon as I can... I

Excellent!

> I am not quite sure were the Hawaiian
> name comes into it, but I am not in doubt it is an
> honour...

You bet it is!  And in your case I don't think it's a case of casting pearls
before swine (_kaste perler for svin_).

I had a bit of a Hawaiian phase and played the _kahuna_ (shaman), deciding
to bestowe Hawaiian names of honor for special merits in place of the usual
electronic gold stars.  All but one person seems to have appreciated it, and
some people specifically asked for their names.  You missed all that fun
while you were having fun in Sardinia.

So here's yours, in advance of your good services:

Moani-like-Kolokolohai
(Proto-Polynesian: Matangi-rite-Torotorofai)

like : like, alike*
moani : wafted fragrance
kolokolohai : humble, kind, thoughtful, considerate

[* coincidental]

It sure sounds like a noble name.