LL-L "Phonology" 2006.03.13 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Mar 13 17:14:08 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 13 March 2006 * Volume 01

From: Leslie Decker <leslie at familydecker.org>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2006.03.12 (05) [E]

> My EFL students here in Peru must have picked this up from American
> English speakers. They often pronounce English 'ch' as [S] rather than
> [tS] even though [S] is not found natively in Spanish and [tS] is.
>
> David Barrow

IMO, this is quite normal Spanish-influenced English.  I've always
chalked it up to overcorrection, rather like a German in English
substituting [w] for [v] even where [v] is appropriate.  I was once with
someone who ordered a Weggie-lovers pizza, which the guy behind the
counter found really amusing (a 'wedgie' is American slang for someone
pulling up someone else's underwear high above their wasteband, creating
a rather uncomfortable wedge...).

Leslie