LL-L "Anniversary" 2006.03.14 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 14 20:23:31 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

14 March 2006 * Volume 06

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Hi, Lowlanders!

No, no!  It's not the dreaded whip again, just a gentle reminder and a
request regarding the Anniversary presentation
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/).

On the following page there is an appeal in several languages:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=your_language

The languages are (in this order):
* English
* Dutch
* Afrikaans
* Low Saxon (Northern, Germany)
* German
* French
* Spanish (Castilian)
* Portuguese
* Italian
* Greek
* Russian
* Hebrew
* Arabic
* Indonesian/Malay
* Chinese

Jean-Luc was already so kind as to correct my French version.  Perhaps some
of you will be equally kind by checking the other versions for accuracy and
informing me privately of any errors or improvements.

Please note that I limited this to a handful of strategic languages, namely
those that reach the desired target readerships, especially where these
languages are known by speakers of many minority languages and/or dialects.
(Arabic is obvious, since it falls into this category. I added Hebrew
because Israel is a particularly rich treasure trove of languages from all
over the world, including numerous Judeo-specific ones.)

I added the suggestion about language name substitution only in those
languages that are likely to reach speakers of languages used in areas that
may not have words for "wren" and/or "lion."  This is why it is not found in
German, Low Saxon, Italian and Hebrew (but it does appear in Dutch so as to
reach more folks in the Caribbean and South America).

Thanks for sending me any help to my address
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/).  The same goes for new
translations and sound files.