LL-L "Etymology" 2006.03.14 (08) [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 15 00:42:26 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

14 March 2006 * Volume 08

From: David Barrow <davidab at telefonica.net.pe>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.03.14 (05) [E]

> From: Ian Pollock <ispollock at shaw.ca>
> Subject: LL-L Language varieties(?)
>
> Hello all;
>
> I got wondering the other day while studying protists, about the
> Greek/Latin scientific names used in western science. Obviously, any
> native speakers of Latin are dead, but I was curious what the speakers
> of Modern Greek think about these modern coinages based on old roots,
> e.g., dinoflagellata (whirling flagellum); diatom (through-cut).
> Specifically,
> 1.) Are these roots readily recognizable to modern Greeks?
> 2.) Do they sound silly?
>
> Cheers,
> -Ian

3) Are any of these coinages borrowed into Greek or do the Greeks prefer
to form their own?

David Barrow

----------

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.03.14 (01) [E]

Ron wrote in response to Jacqueline:

As for "hangover," it's the same in Low Saxon (kater_ ["kQ:t3`]) and German
(_Kater_).

I'm sure there's some story behind this one.

That would be so funny if it came from some dimwit who got drunk and ended
up in an alley with a tomcat. Those mothers can be fierce!
Ben