LL-L "Etymology" 2006.03.15 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 15 16:11:32 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

15 March 2006 * Volume 03

From: Karl Schulte <kschulte01 at alamosapcs.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2006.03.14 (08) [E/German]

All,
Just a note of explanation: I am actually not only educated but an
outstanding speller (no mean feat in English!) but one would never know it
looking at some of my postings. In reviewing, I keep finding both missing
letters and reversed order, and even extra letters (offered at no extra cost
to the reader!). The cause of which is that I recently went blind in my left
eye and that has caused a drastic loss of depth perception and I simply am
missing the center of the keys on the PC. I have been an amateur / dilletant
in linguistics since 14 when one of my best friends in youth began working
on reconstructing Indo-European/PIE and got me interested. Having had
exposure to German/Frisian and Norwegian at home, Latin and a bit of Greek
at school, the study of language evolution and inter-relationships was  (and
still is) fascinating to me. My friend became well known in some language
research circles, perhaps some of you may have heard of him. His name is
Alan Bomhard, and was working on both Tocharian and seeking precursors to
Proto-Indoeuropean the last time we spoke, and is finishing up a book on
these topics at the moment.

So if my comments seem a bit amateurish, it is because I am (at least in
this field; I am a Sr. Radio Engineer, but a frustrated history and classics
professor).

Karl