LL-L "Anniversary" 2006.03.20 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Mar 20 21:46:39 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 20 March 2006 * Volume 08

From: Marcel Bas <marcelbas at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2006.03.20 (05) [E]

Hi Ron,

you wrote:

>*Any* language variety is more than welcome, even several >translations
>into
>and sound recordings in the same variety.   I've been on >people's case
>about
>South African, Irish and New Zealand English (among other >things) for
>quite
>some time, and I have discussed aspects of SA English >before."

Oh, you have?! I must have been away at that time, I'll go check in the
Lowlands-L archives. For some reason I never thought that Lowlands-L would
be interested in British dialects of English. This is all quite a
coincidence, because I have had a keen interest in South African English
ever since I first  joined Lowlands-L back in 1996. Anyway, I guess now my
knowledge of (SA) English is less anecdotal and more scholarly.
Last year I was given the opportunity  to give a lecture at our university
on this subject, and I designed a SA English sound chart. And last year I
visited the SA English Dictionary Unit at Rhodes University in Grahamstown.
I will partly do the field work in Port Elizabeth for Rhodes University.

Jy skryf verder:

>The story ought to be retranslated into authentic language, >and a
>recording
>ought to be added if possible.

>Good luck with the dissertation and field work!  Make sure >you take a
>digital recorder with you.  They are excellent and no longer >expensive.

Thank you, Ron. Yes, I guess I should do that. Would you perhaps know which
device is the best? We will be using the Praat-software from University of
Amsterdam, which makes the use of digital sound recordings necessary.

The sentences that you want translated into all these languages are quite
specific. Have they also been especially designed to yield a phonological
diversity, such as the Wenker-Sätze in High German 'Sprachraum'?

I will try to write in SA English now:

I guess that a translation into South African English mustn't be a problem.
I'll stay with my relatives in PE, and they are all English speakers, mos. I
must ma ask my cousin to say the sentences. Besides, I'll have a digital
recorder, at that time. I don't think that written South African English
will show you too many typical dialect features, as SA English acrolect is
very close to British English. The basilect will only emerge if someone is
speaking colloquial English.

Funnily enough, most people that I know of are not aware of their SA
dialect. They deny their dialect and tell me: "We are decent people." Or
they say: "We don't have a dialect. Americans talk funny, we talk English".
This is always good material for a nice debate.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do with the sentences! Mind you, this will be
the speech of someone from the Eastern Cape. The lingo in Natal, for
example, is a bit different from that of Port Elizabeth (although the Natal
and the Eastern Cape dialects are busy merging). This difference is caused
by the different origins and times of arrival of these people's ancestors.

Regards,

Marcel.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Hey, Marcel!

Tsk, tsk ... You're not only out of practice but also out of touch, buddy.
(That's what happens to naughty boys that jump off.)  I suggest you go back
to our homepage (http://www.lowlands-l.net/) and read up on aims and rules.

English is one of the members of the Lowlands family, and as such, South
African English is relevant and of interest, doubly so considering its
contacts with Afrikaans.

If you go to the anniversary presentation
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/) and look at the table of contents,
you'll see an italic "l" marking all varieties that are directly relevant to
Lowlands-L.

The story about the wren has no "strategic" contents.  We chose it because
it's Lowlandic by origin and it's more interesting (and cuter) than the
usual set of sentences or the story about the north wind and the sun.  This
is not only for linguists but for anyone, and one of the aims is to attract
people to a sort of language extravaganza or celebration.  A purely academic
approach does not cast the net as widely and tends to be intimidating and
offputting to the average person, and yet, our material is of use for
professionals as well.

As for digital voice recorders, for my needs I'm very happy with my Olympus
VN-1000.  It's good quality, easy to use and cheap (USD 49.99, less at
discount stores), and it comes with software.  It has 1000 minutes (16+
hours) of recording time.  The VN-2000 (USD 69.99) gives you 33 hours.
These are mono, because they are specific for voice.  The WS-200S (USD
129.99) has 55 hours and stereo.  If you travel with a laptop or visit your
PC frequently, you don't need a recorder will all that much capacity,
because you can upload the files to the hard drive as you go.

Good luck!