LL-L "Etymology" 2006.03.24 (06) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 24 20:36:23 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

24 March 2006 * Volume 06

From: Marcel Bas <marcelbas at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2006.03.24 (02) [E]

Hi, all!

The discussion on the -s-suffix brings me to this:

In Dutch there are several adjectives that suggest an original noun in the
genitive case, according to many people:

_mans_ = 'as a man, strong' (< man + genitive s?)
_kinds_ = 'childish, senile' [note the paradox!!] (< kind + genitive s?)
_tweedehands_ = 'second hand' (< tweede + hand + genitive s?)
_honds_ = 'cynical, boorish' (< hond + gen. s)

Etc.

If this _s_  is in fact a reduction of an older _sch_, is it then still
reasonable to see it as a remnant of a case, or should one rather regard
this as an adjectivation of a noun?

Guess not.

Regards, Marcel.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Orthography

Hi again, Roger (Hondshoven)!

You wrote under "Etymology":

> Now it has become clear to me. I suspected a connection with 'vreten', but
> was put off by that -sch. I now get the impression from what you write
> that
> it is pronounced like ch- in Dutch chocola. If that is correct I think it
> is
> a needlessly complicated spelling. Why not simply write 'vreetsj'?

Great question (even though it leads to "Orthography," a different thread)!
Depending on the dialect, <sch> stands for [S] (as in "shore," "sheep" and
"dish"), for [sG] (like <s> followed by Flemish-pronounced <g>), for [sx]
cross-dialectical symbol combination, and it has historical roots.  In Dutch
it corresponds to <sch> at the beginning of a syllable.  In precontemporary
Dutch it was <-sch> at the end of syllables as well (e.g., <nederduytsch>,
latter one has now become _-s_ (thus <Nederduits>, <Hollands>, <Vlams>,
<Frans>, <Spaans>).  Now, since Dutch does not have native /S/,
Netherlanders and Belgians want to write it as <sj> when they come across
the sound [S] in Continental Lowlandic language varieties, because that's
how their orthography has been handling "exotic" /S/ (e.g., in Indonesian
languages).  And this has rubbed off on speakers of Low Saxon and Limburgish
in the Netherlands and Belgium and has been disrupting the old orthographic
continuum.  For instance, the reflexive verb meaning 'to befit' used to be
spelled <schicken> in all related varieties.  Now it is <schikken> in Dutch
and Netherlands LS, <skik> in Afrikaans, <schicken> in Germany LS, and
<sjikken> in Limburgish.  Cross-variety reading would be a lot easier if the
same symbol (combination) were used, such as <schik(ken)>, to be pronounced
according to native phonological rules.

Groeten,