LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.27 (07) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 28 03:07:18 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 27 March 2006 * Volume 07

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.27 (04) [E]

"I live by the station" (< ek woon by die stasie)
"I'm busy relaxing" (< ek is besig om uit te rus)
"Will you come with"? (< Sal jy saamkom?)

Marcel,
People here in the western US use all three of those. I'm busy relaxing
sounds a bit on the awkward side, but it is usable. "Will you come with" is
especially used when, for example, the context is already determined. My
family is going to a party. Will you come with?

Ben