LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.31 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 31 20:24:55 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

31 March 2006 * Volume 01

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.03.28 (04) [D/E/V]

I'm really curious if members from outside the Netherlands, especially Low
Saxons and Frisians from Germany e.a., Flemish and Afrikaanders have
already listened to the Johan Veenstra's radio column (Stiekelstokkien) at
www.johan-veenstra.nl, and what their impression of the language is:
Was it easy to understand? Did it sound Low Saxon, or Dutch, or even
Frisian. For the (German) Low Saxon: did you think it was part of the same
language as your own, or really a different one? And why, of course.
Did the knowledge of your own dialect our language, or another one you
know, help you to understand it?

Groeten
Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Thanks a lot, Ingmar!  That's a nice audio presentation, a great opportunity
for Dutch speakers and for Low Saxon speakers (especially of Germany) to
practice listening comprehension of Stellingwerven Low Saxon.

I understand about 75-80% at first listening.  It sounds distinctly "Dutch"
to me.  Indeed, in some regards it shares more phonology with Dutch than
with most Low Saxon dialects of Germany, though the dialects of Eastern
Friesland and Emsland are somewhat more related to it than other dialects of
Germany.  The reality of it may well be that the phonologies of Low Saxon
dialects of the Netherlands have been variously influenced by Dutch
phonology, and that phonologies of the dialects of Germany have been
variously influenced by German.  However, there are historical shifts that
they all have in common (e.g., /er/ > /ar/), and there is much common
lexicon and grammar.

Most glaringly, the phonology of the Stellingwerven dialects, like those of
other Low Saxon dialects of the Netherlands and many Westphalian dialects of
Germany (besides the Low Franconian dialects), lack aspiration, which makes
them sound very "Dutch" to the ears of _Oostersch_ (and Northern German)
speakers.

Furthermore, there is general fricativization of /g/, which in Germany only
occurs (at least to this extent) in the westernmost dialects.

Finally, there is the velarized /l/ at the end of syllables (e.g., /al/
[a:L] 'all', 'already', /elk/ [E:\L(@)k] 'each') that sound "Dutch" to us.
However, this velarized /l/ (as in English "ball" and "silk") seems to have
been a common feature in the eitire Low German (and probably Lowlands)
group.  It is a feature that, evidently under German influence, has been
disappearing in most of Northern Germany during the last half century.  You
will hear very aged speakers of Low Saxon in Germany still using it, and it
is featured in older phonological descriptions.

I hope this helped.

Please say hi to Johan.  Evidently he's an extraordinary man.