LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.05.01 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon May 1 16:48:39 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 01 May 2006 * Volume 07

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2006.04.29 (16) [E]

> From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2006.04.29 (07) [E/German]
>
> Puh-leeeze!!! This is an old and beautiful songs, and an ugly, much
> overused, rather modern American word such as "Mom" should never be
> used in this context ("Dad" isn't the best choice either).

Why is "mom" a modern American word? Surely it came from one of the
British English variants "mum" and "mam". "Mam" is used more in the
north-west of England and I think it may be influenced by the Welsh
"mam" which is the standard word for "mother" (Welsh for "father" is
"tad", which of course becomes "dad" under the soft mutation).

In Scots we use "ma" and "da" or in some areas "ma" and "pa". So now see
what you've been reduced to - next you'll just be "m"!

> Seriously, where did they come up with a word like that to replace
> "mother" even in newspaper articles? It's practically impossible to
> even pronounce it without sounding whiny (Moooo-ommm?!). And
> personally, I always found it quite degrading if other people used it
> on me. I'm a mature adult (well, more or less), and happen to be a
> mother, but I am far from what the word "Mom" is trying to reduce me to.

Well, it was good enough for the Queen Mum! To quote a tourist overhead
during the Whitby Goth Weekend a few years ago, "Has something happened?
Has the Queen Mum died?"

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Sandy,

Good to hear from you again!

> In Scots we use "ma" and "da" or in some areas "ma" and "pa". So now see
> what you've been reduced to - next you'll just be "m"!

And for "pa"?  Perhaps "p" [p_h]?  Agh, I guess that's used already,
especially by adolescent boys.

Cheers!