LL-L "Events" 2006.05.05 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat May 6 06:16:06 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 05 May 2006 * Volume 05

From: Peter Snepvangers <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: LL-L Event

Hello Allemaal,
I thought this might be of interest to our local Australian Lowlanders and
also visitors. The Australian National Maritime Museum in conjunction with
major sponsors SHELL are holding an international Symposium over 2 days. It
is called "Dutch Connections - 400 Years of Australian - Dutch Maritime
Links, 1606 - 2006" Keynote speakers are Professor Peter Sigmond, director
of collections, Rijksmuseum, the Netherlands (Cultural Heritage and a piece
of pewter).
Dr Phillip Playford, West Australia Museum, (Dirck Hartogh and the Land of
the Eendracht).
Paul Brunton, State Library of NSW (Abel Janszoon Tasman: the Australian
voyages, missing journals and fugitive charts).
Dr Robert Parthesius, Amsterdam Historical Museum (Encounters of the third
kind, Dutch shipping in Asia and the search for the Southland).
Dr Mack McCarthy, Curator of Maritime Archaeology, West Australia Maritime
Museum (The Dutch on Australian shores, the Zuytdorp tragedy: unfinished
business).
Dr Peter Stanley, Principal Historian, Australian War Memorial (The Dutch
are a mob of bastards' Australian and Dutch relations in the Pacific War).
Dr Nonja Peters, Research Fellow, Curtin University of Technology, West
Australia (Doubled Dutch - Post war migration to Australia).
Dr Nigel Erskine, Curator, Australian National maritime Museum (New Holland
to Australia - charting the Dutch connection).
There will be an additional 8 speakers covering topics such as post war
immigration experiences, the arts, naval matters, and Dutch commercial
shipping industry.
Contact details: Carolyn Allen
callen at anmm.gov.au
Fax: 61 02 9298 3660
Phone: 61 02 9298 3777
www.anmm.gov.au

Best Regards
Peter Snepvangers
snepvangers at optushome.com.au

The dates are as follows
Sydney, NSW 12 & 13 May 2006
Fremantle, WA 16 May 2006

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Events

Thanks a lot, Pete!

Geez!  That makes me feel jealous.  I wish I could be there.

As an ex-Freo (Fremantle) inhabitant I urge our (several) Lowlanders in
Perth and elsewhere in Western Australia, as well as visitors to the state,
to go see the Maritime Museum(s) if they haven't already done so, especially
when the event comes around.  The older one is a neat museum, a paradise for
shipwreck lovers and those interested in Dutch history.  There are oodles of
everyday items found in and near the wreck of the Batavia off the western
coast, also a display about the murders committed by mutineers on the
Abrolhos Islands.  And, yes, there are preserved parts of wrecks as well.
Great stuff!  The actual museum is now housed in a new, modern building at
Victoria Quay.

http://www.museum.wa.gov.au/maritime/maritime.asp

I was there when they put together the first display in the old Cliff Street
building, now housing the Shipwreck Gallery, and I visited it as soon as it
opened.  Very impressive!  And such great woodwork and lighting!

A replica of Australia's first ship, the Duyfken, was constructed in this
museum's courtyard. The Duyfken was launched in July of 1999 and set sail to
visit major Australian ports, before re-enacting the voyage from Texel in
the Netherlands to Cape York in Australia.

Cool, huh?

Thanks again, Pete, and enjoy!

P.S.: Oh, and stop talking so East Coast, Pete!  The state is called WestERN
Australia, and the museum is called WestERN Australian Museum.  :-)  As a
name it's always "Western Australia," but adjectivally (and as an adjectival
noun) it can be either "Western Australian" or "West Australian."  Go
figure, as my Yank persona would say.