LL-L "Language acquisition" 2006.05.07 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun May 7 22:55:13 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 07 May 2006 * Volume 05

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language acquisition" 2006.05.07 (01) [E]

RE: Dutch as a difficult language.
Yes Pat it is. I have no authoritative statements for you, but only my own
experience with about 200 students in over 15 years. (Amongst them were
three couples where one was a native English speaker and the other came from
Germany)
 If we leave the matter of accent aside, learning Dutch is certainly
difficult for English speakers and maybe not so much for speakers of German
and French,- to give an example of a Germanic and a Romance language each.
Not only do German speakers have a large amount of cognates at their
disposition,(and more often than not these cognates do have the same meaning
in both languages), they also have more or less the same grammar and
therefore only have to accustom themselves to the pesky idioms. I bet you
also that for a German with a Low Saxon background, which has a lot of
idiomatic similarity with Dutch, it is easier to learn Dutch than for
somebody who only knows High German.
For the Frenchman who learns Dutch, everything is strange.
Grammar, Syntax and Idioms are all totally different than what he speaks at
home. For them it "simply" involves getting used to a totally different way
of expressing themselves.
The English speakers, however, find themselves as the proverbial ass between
the two haystacks. Their language smacks both of the Germanic and the
French. At first sight the languages seem so similar. Although it is true
that Dutch and English share many cognates, (the basic vocabulary of English
is largely of Germanic origin and we almost exclusively share the same
"strong verbs", but the languages sound sufficiently different and are
certainly spelled differently. Also, only the simplest of all syntax is the
same. The moment there are two verbs in the sentence, the similarity ends.
Many of my students complain bitterly about the prevalence of separable
verbs and I must confess that after almost 50 years in the US I still feel
that for me it is more natural to say "he chucked his dinner up" than "he
upchucked his dinner". But the main stumbling block seems to be that both
languages are extremely idiomatic; Dutch even more so than English. This
shows up the moment you stop translating the simple phrases in the Grammar,
and start reading and listening to the way people really speak.

As a teacher of mostly adult students in the US, I bemoan the fact that with
very few exceptions, their knowledge of grammar is woefully lacking, but
that is not necessary so in other countries. I also think that the
similarity of the languages lulls the students to believe that they can get
away with a minimum of work. Having said this, I must also say that I have
had students that have learned to speak the language passably well and in
three or four cases very well.

Hope this helps. Jacqueline