LL-L "Language acquisition" 2006.05.07 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon May 8 04:05:23 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 07 May 2006 * Volume 09

From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language Acquisition" 2006.05.07 [E]

Hoy lowlanders,

Jacqueline said,
>Many of my students complain bitterly about the prevalence of separable
>verbs (in Nederlands)..."

--And Kevin and Cheryl said,
>I would say "he threw up his dinner"...

One of the facets of Germanic languages I have both wrestled with and loved
is that of separable verbs and the nearly infinite permutations they can
take from one Thiudisko tungo to another. As a native Appalachian English
speaker, I would have said, before the third year or so of formal education,
"He threw his supper up." Completely separable, except that in the
infinitive it would have been "to throw up." Then, we were taught in school
never to end a sentence with a preposition. We were never told why, only
that people elsewhere would think we were hillbillies.

Thus,  separable verbs would thrive today, or at least appear more often,
were there not this grammatical genocide, this concerted campaign to kill
them off.

So, we will never load a file down; or load a picture up. We will merely
download and upload. Enough to make one chuck up, nee?

But Jacqueline --and others-- are right when they perceive that English is
rough to learn because it combines both Romance and Germanic vocabulary.
Pity the Celtic didn't survive; an unholy trinity of derivations and a
vocabulary divided among earthy accuracy (Germanic), ruffles and flourishes
(Romance), and wild imagination and lyricism (Celtic). What a combo that
would have been!

Now: Is everyone sufficiently offended?

As to translations, I have often noticed that non-native English speakers
translating into English sometimes follow the easy path of using the English
word belonging to their own family instead of the word or term usually
employed by native speakers: Ergo, we find Germans translating
"Doppelarbeit" into "double work" instead of "duplication"; or a French
speaker referring to "sagacity" when the native speaker would have used
"wisdom".

Now off-signing,

Arthur