LL-L "Language acquisition" 2006.05.07 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon May 8 06:46:50 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 07 May 2006 * Volume 10

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language acquisition" 2006.05.07 (09) [E]

Arthur wrote:
>As to translations, I have often noticed that non-native English speakers
>translating into English sometimes follow the easy path of using the
>English
>word belonging to their own family instead of the word or term usually
>employed by native speakers: Ergo, we find Germans translating
>"Doppelarbeit" into "double work" instead of "duplication"; or a French
>speaker referring to "sagacity" when the native speaker would have used
>"wisdom".

Actually, oddly enough, this kind of thing happens a lot to native English
speakers as well! This would drive me crazy when I worked as a localisation
manager for a big software company and would have to tell the boss that we
definitely could not use certain free-lance translators because they were
simply not up to snuff. He (and others along with him) would inevitably
reply: "But that can't be, (s)he's a native speaker!"

One person, an American who has lived in Germany for some 20 years (and
still working as a translator, I shudder to think) would always thranslate
German "wobei" as "whereby" (although that is not what it means at all), and
"dabei" as "thereby" (same thing). I had to correct some of her
translations, and she had actually translated "Kuhstall" (a large dairy
barn) to "cowstall"!

I have seen other British, American and Canadian translators do the same
thing. Actually, some of them were so bad that they could not be used at
all, because what they produced still looked and felt completely German!
Maybe native speakers are so confident of what they are writing that they
barely think about it and just put down what feels right at the time.

Another example: since German has the same word vor "every" and "each", they
will often use "every" in English when it should be "each", because "every"
is more common and springs to mind first. Or they will leave the German
"chance" where it should be "opportunity" in English. Also, native speakers
tend to not use constructions that do not occur in the source language, like
the gerund, for example. Or they tend to use the present tense just like in
German, where the future tense should be used in English.

It's the same thing the other way round, of course. I have the job of
sifting through possible translators for a large British multimedia
localisation company, so I see all kinds of translations, good and bad.
There are many German constructions, wrought by native German speakers, that
are not really German at all.

Obviously, if you live in a foreign country for a while, your native
patterns of speech will be influenced by the language you encounter daily,
and they will begin to sound right to you even in your native language. I
once heard a Welsh friend of mine, who had then lived in Germany for about
six years, reprimand his young son: "So goes it not!"

In our family, we speak German and English roughly in equal parts. But it
sometimes happens to my two older daughters and myself, who all speak Dutch
as well, that we use a term or construction only to realise that we
translated directly from Dutch. Or my husband, who is also a translator,
asks me for an English word for something because he can't think of one at
the moment... and I come up with a good one, only to see him stare at me in
disbelief. Dutch again!

Gabriele Kahn

-------

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>

So, we will never load a file down; or load a picture up. We will merely
download and upload. Enough to make one chuck up, nee?

Arthur, as an American, I love the phenomenon of the separable suffix out. I
changed out the light bulbs. I took out the trash. The evidence bears you
out. I love the huge amount of uses for out and up. I saw one of those funny
emails about up that said that we can fall down but we can't fall up. We can
screw something up but we can't screw it down.
Ben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language acquisition

I can just see that this is going to be a popular one, one for sharing time.
And it's all our Arthur's fault.

Ben, buddy, don't get hung up on "out" and "up" when it comes to "split"
verbs (which, of course, English has too, though just a muted version).
There's also "on," my wife's favorite when she does her own take-off of
Missingsch-derived North-German-colored English as a part of our _lingua
domestica_.  She likes adding an "on" to the very end ... on, sense or no
sense, especially if it competes with another preposition; e.g., "Put it in
the oven in ... on!", "OK, give it on!",* "You look like you're having a
thirst on."  [* Not too nonsensical if you consider grammatical "Bring it
on!" and "to get it on"]  Apparently she was inspired by hearing a lot
dangling prepositions during visits to Northern Germany, and _an_ must have
stuck out for her.   In a particularly flamboyant mode she'll top this off
(and on) with the typically North German _nä?_ (like Standard German _nicht
(wahr)?_, French _n'est pas?_ and very much like Japanese ね? _ne?_ [nE]);
e.g., "You're having a head on ... nä?" (= "You're having a headache, aren't
you?").  And she does this Hamburg intonation thing with it ... on.  She
certainly has that one down.  And it can crack me up ... on ... and upcrack
as well.

Cheers!

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language acquisition" 2006.05.07 (01) [E]

I know a lot of people who learned Dutch as a second language and yes,
most of them found it very difficult. And most were quite young (under 18)
when they started to learn it in secondary school, getting special
programs first to learn Dutch. Among their maternal languages are Chinese,
Arabic, Pular, Portuguese, Kurdish, Farsi, Somali and many more.

About the social setting: many foreigners from English speaking countries
complain that the Dutch refuse to speak Dutch to them in the Netherlands,
so they won't get the chance to learn in in daily use. Many Dutch think
their English is quite good and they like to show that, but I think that a
lot of people also somehow ashamed or at least embarassed when they think
the other one doesn't understand it (him) and they have to adapt to his
level.
For non Europeans like the ones I described in the first part they usually
adapt in another way: simplify their language, speak louder, gesticulate
and preferably just don't speak with them at all if it's not necessary.

Compared to German, I can imagine that Dutch must be easier to learn for
an Anglophone, because it only has two instead of three genders, it
doesn't have functional mutations like umlauts, the adjectives and
articles don't change according to the case, and Dutch has more
French/international loans and the way the Germanic words look like in
English is more in common with Dutch than with German...

Groeten
Ingmar