LL-L "Language acquisition" 2006.05.08 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon May 8 22:36:59 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 08 May 2006 * Volume 06

From: WALTERG580 at aol.com <WALTERG580 at aol.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language acquisition" 2006.05.08 (03) [E]

I personally learned English in Bermuda, before moving to Western Oklahoma,
(Military Brat)
and was placed in Speech Therapy to unlearn my pronunciation, and slightly
different syntax, but now some 44 years later having lived mainly in the
south, and Southwest USA, I revert to by childhood speech pattern when
reading aloud, or when stressed.

[Walter Gamble]

----------

From: Heather Rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>I love the phenomenon of the separable suffix<

If English were to lose its prepositional verbs/ separable verbs then the
modern language teachers ' lot would be a less happy one!

These are the joys of teaching & marking  ( sorry most of my examples are
in French - but they go to show how English pupils do NOT relate the
preposition to the verb!)

e.g.  J'ai éteint le chat  = ? in English

or

j'ai impair chausettes sur

or do the reverse and get pupils to translate

I put the plate down

he put me up for three days

He put up with me for three days

Heather