LL-L "Delectables" 2006.05.08 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon May 8 22:39:03 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 08 May 2006 * Volume 07

From: Reuben Epp <reuben at uniserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.05.08 (05) [E]

> From: Wa2kbzKarl at wmconnect.com <Wa2kbzKarl at wmconnect.com>
> Karl Schulte wrote: Subject: Frisian sugar/tea
>
> Folks,
> I just returned from Germany, and while there, I had a fine Zuegener
> Schnitnel (a favorite) but at sister-in-law's home was given tea and some
> very odd sugar. It was in crystals about size of a grape (2 cm?), and they
> said it was from my heimatland (Emden).  As I was fascinated by this
> pretty and interesting sugar - although VERY slow to disolve - they ran
> out and bought me a box to take home to Missouri. Luckily it was sealed in
> plastic and undetected by both bomb and food finding dog. White, powdery
> crystals could be misinterpreted these days as some kind of drug! It was
> called Klootje Kandy suss for Friesland tea. What can anyone tell me about
> this sugar, it use/custome, etc.?  I can guess that as a byproduct of its
> slow solution rate, that it could prolong the drinking of tea as a social
> event, giving more time for relaxed converstaion waiting for it to
> dissolve. It seems to be a form of what we call rock candy, but in a more
> regular crytal conformation.
> Best Regards
> Karl Schulte
Reuben Epp reuben at uniserve.com replies:

Are you sure the sugar candies for tea in East Friesland were not called
Kluntjes? My east Frisian dictionary lists them thus. We have bought
them under this name. Perhaps there are two kinds? It seems that this
form of tea sweetener is customary only in East Friesland.

Regards

Reuben