LL-L "Delectables" 2006.05.09 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 10 03:55:32 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 09 May 2006 * Volume 11

From: "Ben J. Bloomgren" <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.05.09 (02) [D/E]

I first learned to appreciate and then love tea in England and was a
regular tea drinker all my years in Australia.  I still drink it, though
not as much as coffee.  My wife (an American) drinks only tea.

Ron, I don't know what kind of tea, but the tea that I get most often tastes
like bad tap water. I do not like our tea. I tried an Indian tea and an
Ethiopian tea, and I loved the Indian one best. Maybe that's because the
Indian tea tasted like our Hot Chocolate.
Ben

----------

From: "Ben J. Bloomgren" <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2006.05.09 (09) [E]

And the schnitzel - where does it come from? In Australia in the 1950s it
was called a Vienna schnitzel and consisted of a pan fried piece of thin
veal with an egg and breadcrumb coating. Now it has a batter and is deep
fried.

Hugo, I looked up Wienerschnitzel on one of those crappy translator places,
and it said viennese scraps. It's probably a million kilometres off base,
right?
Ben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Hey, Ben!

I know what you mean.  I haven't found a decent American sort of tea yet.
They all taste muddy or twiggy or both.  Goodness knows what they do to
it.  Yeah, even American Lipton's Tea isn't anywhere as good as its
relatives elsewhere.  And I like those new "designer teas" (e.g., Tazo)
the least.  What's up with that stuff?!

If you want to get a toehold in superior tea land and don't want to pay an
arm and a leg, start with Red Rose tea, which is imported from Canada.
You get it at most American supermarkets.  It comes in a whole bunch of
teabags in a plastic bag (rather than in a box).  El cheapo -- probably
the cheapest you'll find on the shelf -- but way better than its
competitors from south of the border.  Why?  It has a clean taste (as
opposed to muddy) with no real bitter edge.  The reason is that, although
it falls into the category of "black tea," it's red (hence the brand
name), which means that it contains mainly or only Ceylon tea.  (You can
smell the difference between it and real black tea.)  This is also the
type of tea you use in good chai, which is the "Indian" spiced milk tea
you thought tasted like hot chocolate.  And this Red Rose makes a killer
iced tea, which I know you can do with for most of the year down in
Arizona.  So don't give up!  Why, if you really get into it, I might even
send you a little sampler of my favorites, such as Scottish and Yorkshire
teas.

I've developed into a vegetarian lately and have always avoided veal
anyway.  So I won't comment on the (non-Lowlandic) schnitzel thing.

Cheerio!