LL-L "Terms of address" 2006.05.10 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 10 14:48:10 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 10 May 2006 * Volume 01

From: "First name Last name" <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Terms of address"

Hi all,

Ja, Paul, most Afrikaner kids still use the tannie/oom address,
as well as Coloured kids with the antie/oom/uncle address.

In my family we dropped the tannie/oom and even the
mammie/pappie forms of address and used first names, but
this casualness is still quite rare.

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Terms of address" 2006.05.09 (10) [E]

Kevin Caldwell wrote:
  "I'd even prefer what used to be common in the U.S., which was for
children to
address adult friends of their parents as "Uncle [first name]" or "Aunt
[first
name]".

  This used to be _extremely_ common (in Britain) when I was a child. It
was only
when I was ten or so that I realised all these "uncles" and "aunties" were
fake -
i.e., not blood relatives. I always liked it, though. It allowed
familiarity and
respect.

  Of course now you struggle to hear it anywhere, even _with_ blood
relatives. My
nieces and nephews sometimes forget to call me "Uncle Críostóir"
preferring just
my first name (until I correct them). This would have been unthinkable
when I was
a child - calling an uncle or auntie by their first name. So my nieces and
nephews
call me "Uncle Críostóir" but my elder brother, who doesn't care either
way, gets
called by his first name by them.

  Go raibh maith agat.

  Críostóir.