LL-L "History" 2006.05.24 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 24 17:04:08 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 24 May 2006 * Volume 04

From: "Heather Rendall" <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2006.05.23 (06) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>Btw, a common megalith cultures says nothing about the language; I mean,
the Japanese, the Nigerians and the Indians all have sky scrapers, cars
and fast food restaurants nowadays, just as the Americans, but they don't
speak the same or even related (first) languages, do they?<

I can see and am fascinated by the examples and points made by Paul but
when I read the above it,  struck me that this situation is only the result
of global commmunication, which is still in its infancy.

When people moved around less and had fewer points of contact, cultural
elements tended to last longer and be more localised, surely? i.e.
development of dialects, local costume & customs. However these often
developed from a single original, which had been a single entity at some
time before developing, expanding and moving to new areas.

[Hope this is also within the same strand.]

Could I please beg for some more clarification re Arabic. I was told by a
Welsh friend that Arabic had the 'verb first' word order. Is this not so?

thanks

Heather