LL-L 'Customs' 2006.11.04 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 4 19:47:44 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net
Administration: lowlands-l at lowlands-l.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L * 04 November 2006 * Volume 04

From: 'Global Moose Translations' [globalmoose at t-online.de]
Subject: LL-L 'Customs' 2006.11.03 (07) [E/German]

Ron quoted:

xenophobe
A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign,
especially of strangers or foreign peoples.

American Heritage Dictionary

Xenophobie:
Kulturell: Alles soziale Handeln ist kulturell überformt, d. h. kollektive
Distanz und Feindseligkeit ist erworbene Grundstimmung (siehe auch
Mentalität
einer Gesellschaft). So sind Stammesgesellschaften, aber auch ländliche
Gesellschaften mit Grundbesitzerstrukturen, deren Traditionen stark auf
fixierten
Regel beruhen, Neubürgern gegenüber eher zurückhaltend bis ablehnend
eingestellt.

Wikipedia.de

"Lowlands languages" are those Germanic languages that developed in the
"Lowlands" the low-lying areas adjacent to the North Sea and the Baltic Sea.
These are primarily Dutch, Zeelandic (Zeeuws, West Flemish), Frisian,
Limburgish
and Low Saxon (Low German). Also included are those languages that descended
from
autochtonous Lowlands languages and are used elsewhere; for example,
Afrikaans,
Lowlands-based emigrant languages, pidgins and creoles, and also English and
Scots. "Lowlands cultures" are those cultures that utilize Lowlands
languages or
are clearly derived from such cultures.

Yes, I am perfectly aware what "xenophobic" means, and I am glad that you
looked it up, too. I still see no connection to your previous claims (people
who do not tell their mailman and bank teller "I love you" on a daily basis
are xenophobic?).

For the second quote, no source is given. I assume you are quoting your own
definition? And again, I see no context.

Sorry if I have pushed another button, but fact is, you no longer live in
Northern Germany and haven't for decades, so I don't see how you could make
blanket statements about the people and communities who do. You cannot be
everywhere at once. But I can understand that part of you refuses to
acknowledge you ever left. I've been there myself, after all.

But perhaps the really big difference is whether you live in the country, or
in an urban setting? Maybe it's predominantly in farming communities, where
families live and work together and have to be able to completely rely on
each other, that public verbal reassurances are regarded as especially silly
and superfluous, be it Lower Saxony, Bavaria or Yorkshire. Farmers in
general do not flatter and wheedle either, as compared to salespeople in big
cities, for example. Meaningless chitchat and smalltalk seems to be pretty
much a city thing everywhere...

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: 'jonny' [jonny.meibohm at arcor.de]
Subject: LL-L 'Customs*

Dear Lowlanders,

from 'I love you all' to 'shake-hands'.

In the extended region of Hamburg (though the cities of Hamburg and Bremen
themselves might be different) it's nearly forbidden to make shake-hands with people.

Today I met a neighbour whom I hadn't seen for a considerable while and I offered
him my hand. I felt his strong hesitation, and so felt I.

Just outside this area things are completely different: in the eastern and more
southern regions (beginning in the Hanover-area) it's a necessary matter of
politeness in a company or as a member of a whatever group to make shake-hands
each day you come together. Very strange for me...

How do people in other, maybe Lowlandic-influenced or not-Lowlandic-influenced
areas round the world get around with it?

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm