LL-L 'Customs' 2006.11.03 (07) [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 4 01:30:52 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net
Administration: lowlands-l at lowlands-l.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L * 03 November 2006 * Volume 01

From: 'Global Moose Translations' [globalmoose at t-online.de]
Subject: LL-L 'Customs' 2006.11.03 (01) [E]

Ron wrote:
>It may be true that in
>supposedly "sober" Protestant culture of the Lowlands there is a tradition
of
>avoiding expressions of affection. However, I believe that this is on the
way
>out (as also demonstrated by Jonny) and these days is predominant only in
some
>communities that are "at the back of beyond" and/or might be called
"xenophobic"
>in that they do not readily absorb new settlers and outside influences.

What would all this have to do with "xenophobic"? And what, pray tell, is
"at the back of beyond"? Anyway, you haven't lived in the Lowlands in ages,
so how would you know?

Of course people will verbally express affection in any language, but
usually this happens behind closed doors, in a one-on-one setting. I was
merely stating (and lamenting) the fact that in some cultures and places,
there seems to be a true inflation of "I love you" and, worse, because it is
so very manipulative, "we love you".

There are many other ways of showing affection that ring a lot truer than a
sing-song "I loooove you" to end a telephone conversation. And I do not
believe that a certain reluctance to advertise one's feelings for all the
world to hear is "on the way out" in the Lowlands at all. The day I hear my
neighbour tell his wife that he loves her when he sets out on his tractor, I
will see his pigs flying out the barn door next.

Gabriele Kahn