LL-L 'Phonology' 2006.11.07 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 7 21:47:21 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net
Administration: lowlands-l at lowlands-l.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L * 07 November 2006 * Volume 04

From: Ronald Veenker [veenker at atmc.net]
Subject: LL-L 'Phonology' 2006.11.07 (02) [E]

On Tuesday, November 7, 2006, at 10:57 AM, Lowlands-L wrote:

>>> From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
>>> Subject: Phonology
>>>
>>> To me, this group of varieties sounds closest to "typical" Canadian
>> English
>>> varieties and also to English varieties of parts of Montana,
>>> Wyoming, the
>>> Dacotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin. However, the Native American
>>> varieties
>> have
>>> their own features and configurations thereof, most of which I
>>> haven't
>> yet
>>> figured out. One feature I can think of is monophthong [o:] (e.g., in
>> "go") and
>>> [e:] (e.g., in "late"). There are also some interesting voice
>>> production
>> things
>>> going on as well as somewhat monotone ("flat") intonation.

Ron, I may not have the ear that you do for the finer points of
phonology, but the native Americans of South Dakota (my home state) and
northern Minnesota seem to speak that "Nordic" English you point to
from Minnesota, the Dakotas, Wisconsin, etc. But that is the only
group of Native Americans that I have listened to for any extended
time. The Lumbee Indians of the Lumber river basin of southeastern
North Carolina speak very much like the local Anglo culture, but they
have never been on a reservation.

Ron Veenker
Holden Beach, North Carolina, USA

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Phonology

Hi again, Ronald!

By the way, I don't remember if I've welcomed you among the brave. In any event,
please accept my welcome now.

I believe that at one time we were led to believe that the Lumbee spoke a form of
Appalachian, but someone -- perhaps Michael Montgomery -- later told us that this
was not so.