LL-L 'Administrativia' 2006.11.07 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 7 20:30:38 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net
Administration: lowlands-l at lowlands-l.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L * 07 November 2006 * Volume 04

From: Ronald Veenker [veenker at atmc.net]
Subject: LL-L 'Orthography' 2006.11.05 (03) [LS]

I wish to thank Jonny Meibohm and Ron/Reihard as well for the
instruction to set my viewer to Unicode UTF-8.

I can now see all the diacritical markings in this post. However, when
I go to the recent ADMINISTRATIVA post from Ron, I still get the
"codes" instead of the umlauts, etc.

Any suggestions?

Ronald Veenker
Holden Beach NC USA

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Administrativia

Hello, Ronald!

I'm glad that's sorted out.

As for the said Administrativia posting, perhaps I did not switch to Unicode when
I sent it. The copy in the archive may show that: http://tinyurl.com/y9zxh3

Please find a copy below.

L O W L A N D S - L * 04 November 2006 * Volume 06

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]

[PLEASE READ THIS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE NEW ON BOARD!]

Dear Lowlanders,

Welcome to all of you who joined us since the beginning of October! At the end
of this message is a list of your places of residence.

Some of you still have not gotten the message that "LL-L" or "Lowlands-L"
MUST appear in the subject lines of all posting submissions. I have all such
messages automatically routed to a special folder. I do scan the rest of the
(always voluminous and mostly bogus) mail for stray submissions from
"incorrigibly naughty Lowlanders," but there is always a chance such
"unmarked" submissions fall through the cracks and are erased. So, "LL-L" or
"Lowlands-L" is the only way to make sure your work does not disappear into
thin air. (Anyway, you should always keep copies, which you could do by
sending courtesy copies to yourselves.)

Even though our anniversary project
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/), has been up and running for a
while now, please bear in mind that this is an ongoing project and requires
your help, especially now that we are fast approaching the end of our
eleventh year. Thanks to everyone who has helped so far. We've received only
positive responses from outside the List so far. So, please keep going and
keep 'em coming, folks! People have been asking why we don't have sound
files of most of the "major" languages as well (e.g., French, Spanish,
Italian). Well, let me pass this question on to you. We really and truly
want more members' introductions

As most of you know in the meantime, our email addresses are now visible
only to subscribers. I hope this will encourage more of you to come forward
and participate in our discussions.

(1) We send the postings in Unicode (UTF-8) format. You need to switch your
view mode to it if you want to see all "special" characters.

(2) You *must* always give us your name, given name and family name.

(3) If you forward Lowlands-L mail to another (alias) account, please give
us the address of that account. We need to identify it so we can do
something in case we get error messages from that server.

(4) You must credit the writers of anything you quote. "Lowlands-L wrote:"
simply won't do. SEVERAL OF YOU ARE STILL NOT DOING THIS.

(5) Please continue already existing subject headers (rather than making up
your own for the same thing). If you do begin a new topic, please make sure
"Lowlands-L" or "LL-L" is in the subject line as well.

And a "new" one: DO NOT SEND POSTING SUBMISSIONS IN CAPITAL LETTERS ONLY. I
cannot accept them and will ask you to resubmit them in normal type case.
Note that, besides being difficult to read, all-caps text breaks Internet
etiquette rules. It is only used to orthographically represent
headings/headlines, besides that SHOUTING, YELLING, SCREAMING, etc., and
beyond that it's perceived as a sign of crying for attention. It's
considered simply OBNOXIOUS.

Please, folks, read and understand the rules and guidelines! It's really
important.

Rules and Guidelines: Dutch: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regels
English: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules
German: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regeln-de
Limburgish: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regele
Lowlands Saxon (Low German): http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regeln
Russian: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules-ru

Many beginners, but also a few older hands, forget to provide their names
with their posting submission. Please remember that anonymous posting is not
an option, that you are obligated to give your given and family name, even
if you do not put them right next to each other.

Even some people who have been with us for a while persistently ignore the
following rules:

(1) Keep subjects separate: Only one topic per posting! Don't mix things up,
please.

(2) Stick to the subject title: Do not change the topic name in your
apply or is silly. I will change it if I think it needs to be.

(3) Edit quotes: If you hit the "reply" button and simply write your
response before or after an unedited, complete quoted LL-L issue, please do
not complain to me that I have removed the quoted text in the published
version. It is proper email behavior to quote only the portions that are
relevant to your response.

(4) Give credit: Let us know who the authors of quoted text portions are. If
you just hit the "reply" button, it will automatically give "Lowlands-L" as
the author. That will not do. You must be more specific, and you owe authors
the courtesy of crediting them by name.

(5) If you feel like leaving the List, please do not send the sign-off
command to the posting address or to my personal address. Please follow the
instructions at the top and bottom of each LL-L issue (send the command
"signoff lowlands-l" to [lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org].

ADDRESS CHANGES
You do no longer need to sign off and on again if your email address
changes. It suffices if you send me (sassisch at yahoo.com) a message giving
us the old address and the new address.  If you don't remember under which
address you were first subscribed, it will suffice if you give us only
the new address.

TEMPORARY ABSENCE
Before you take a trip or for some other reason need to stop LL-L mail
arriving for a given length of time, please write to us
([log in to unmask]) to let us know the date you want mail to be
stopped and the date you want mail to be resumed. As some of our members can
attest, this has been working really well, certainly beats the old, crude
method of signing off and on again. Once in a while people find themselves
unsubscribed without notice. Some of them immediately suspect the worst:
that I have "booted them out" for some infraction or other. (I know this for
sure only about those that contact me.) Please do not jump to this
conclusion unless you have received prior reprimands and warnings (which has
occurred very rarely, not at all for well over one year). If you find
yourself disconnected from Lowlands-L, the reason is most likely that the
automated server has unsubscribed your address because of repeated
"bouncing," i.e., because your mail servers keep informing the list server
that you cannot be reached or is filled above quota. Most of the time this
is due to temporary disconnection. Sometimes the reason is that a
subscriber's junk mail filter (or "spam" filter) has not been "told" to
exempt Lowlands-L mail, which is why our mailings do not arrive in your
inboxes. So, if Lowlands-L mail stops coming, please first check your "spam"
filters and adjust them if necessary, and only contact me about the problem
if all of the above fails. Should you indeed be disconnected, please write
to me or resubmit an application
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=subscription). I'll be more than
happy to bring you swiftly back to the fold.

Again, dear Lowlanders, thanks for your support and cooperation and for all
those interesting contributions past and future!

Regards, Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder, Administrator & Chief Editor
Lowlands-L http://www.lowlands-l.net

***

Welcome to those of you who just joined us since October 1, 2006:

Australia:
     Western Australia:
          Perth [1]
France:
     Noord-Nauw van Calais / Nord-Pas-de-Calais:
          Rijsel / Lille [1]
Netherlands (Nederland):
     Northern Brabant (Noord-Brabant):
          Heeze [1]
     Utrecht:
          Maarsen [1]
          Vianen [1]
Poland (Polska):
     Lower Silesia (Dolny ÅšlÄ
sk / Niederschlesien):
          Lubin [1]
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland:
     Northern Ireland (Tuaisceart Éireann / Norlin Airlann):
          Belfast (Béal Feirste) [2]
     Wales (Cymru):
          Glamorgan (Morgannwg):
               Caerphilly (Caerffili) [1]