LL-L 'Anniversary' 2006.11.12 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 13 00:22:40 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net
Administration: lowlands-l at lowlands-l.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L * 12 November 2006 * Volume 02

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Anniversary

Folks,

Today I received and posted a Ruhr German version as a part of our anniversary
project (http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/).  It is relevant to our focus in
that it comes with a Westphalian Low Saxon substrate.  Please read the
information to find out more.

http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/ruhrdeutsch.php
http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/ruhrdeutsch-info.php

When (and I don't say "if") you recruit people for translation and recording
work, your greatest challenge is likely to be reluctance due to thinking in terms
of "good and bad" language varieties.  It's most important that you convince your
contacts that you do *not* think in terms of good and bad language varieties,
that you believe all of them are worthy of being shared with the world. Most
definitely, you need to convince people that we are not making fun of them.

Yesterday I mentioned our featured guest contributor Dante Ferry
(http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/feature_dante.php). Based on my exchanges with
him, I'm under the impression that the "secret" of his success in recruitment
across ethnic and religious boundaries within the Philippines is that he
patiently establishes relationships of trust in which he convinces his contacts
of his sincere appreciation of all and any language variety without hierarchical
judgment. I imagine this is not a mean feat for someone who is a native speaker
of Tagalog, the country's dominant language ("above" about 170 other languages).

So, off you go, folks! May you be industrious and fruitful!